Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PA Bear [MS MVP] PA Bear [MS MVP] is offline

Default Outlook Express and Microsoft Office Outlook

[Forwarded to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields newsgroup via
crosspost.]

Need much more info from you:

Windows version?

Office version (e.g., Office 2003 SP3; Office 2007 SP1)?

Is Outlook or Outlook Express your default Mail Client?

What kind of "conflict between the two programmes"? Post any error messages
in their entirety.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Maureen wrote:
I have recently set up Outlook Express at work, not realising that the
Address Book that we use is in Microsoft Office Outlook. Now when we try
use our Address Book when we use Word 2003 for placing names and addresses
in letters etc., there seems to be a conflict between the two programmes,
can anyone help me solve this problem, by the way at work I am using
Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Maureen Maureen is offline

Thanks for replying. As I am not at work until Monday 7th April, I can only
answer some of your queries. I believe we are using Office version 2003 and
Outlook is set as our default Mail Client, I will clarify this on Monday.
There is an error message when trying to use the Address Book in Word, but
until I go to work on Monday I will let you know what this is then. Many
thanks.

Maureen

Maureen wrote:
I have recently set up Outlook Express at work, not realising that the
Address Book that we use is in Microsoft Office Outlook. Now when we try
use our Address Book when we use Word 2003 for placing names and addresses
in letters etc., there seems to be a conflict between the two programmes,
can anyone help me solve this problem, by the way at work I am using
Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Shannon Shannon is offline

I am totally new to Microsoft Discussion. Please forgive if I offend or do
something wrong.

I did not know how to start my own post so I am replying to yours, hoping
that you can help me in my learning curve.

I have a Satellite provider, Wild Blue. I have had the service for almost a
year. I subscribed to Wild Blue because I live in an area that does not have
cable or DSL available.

My problem: Wild Blue and Google have joined to supply Wild Blue customers
with gmail. When I signed on with Wild Blue, outlook express 6 was the email
client of choice. I have all my address books in outlook express and have not
been successful in transferring them to gmail. I don't want to use gmail at
this time and I can send and get emails and use my address books with
outlook. But, all emails sent and received also go to gmail. I go to gmail
and delete regularly. Just recently, when I send an email to myself and copy
others I do not get the email in outlook but it is in gmail.

This partnership that Wild Blue and Google have has been a total disaster
for me and others that I know and have recommended to use Wild Blue. Today is
one month since their launch. There is no satisfaction in using or trying to
use Wild Blue help. I have tried countless times by phone and chat. Some of
the contacts by mail have told me that this has is a nightmare for them and
that they were not given the necessary instructions to help. One contact told
me that Wild Blue has 275,000 subscribers and that maybe 90 percent are being
effectived by this. The help has gotten much worse as time has gone by. If I
can get anyone on the phone now, I am told that it is a glitch and that it
will be resolved. I cannot find live chat anymore. It seems that Wild Blue
has created a situation that they cannot correct or that maybe they plan to
force all users to use gmail.

I have contacted FTC and FCC but have not received any support from them
yet. I am considering contacting one of the TV networks to see if they can
investigate.

The instructions I was given to set up outlook express was to set up gmail
as the pop and stmp server. I do not remember what the pop and stmp servers
were before this confusion was foisted upon me and others.

Please help!

Shannon
--
Shannon

Maureen wrote:
I have recently set up Outlook Express at work, not realising that the
Address Book that we use is in Microsoft Office Outlook. Now when we try
use our Address Book when we use Word 2003 for placing names and addresses
in letters etc., there seems to be a conflict between the two programmes,
can anyone help me solve this problem, by the way at work I am using
Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Your post has nothing to do with Word. A better newsgroup would have been
microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general

However, you will find detailed instructions for accessing gmail through
Outlook Express at:

http://email.about.com/od/outlookexp...t/et090605.htm

BTW, I came up with that link by Googling for Use Outlook Express for gmail

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Maureen wrote:
I have recently set up Outlook Express at work, not realising that
the
Address Book that we use is in Microsoft Office Outlook. Now when we
try
use our Address Book when we use Word 2003 for placing names and
addresses
in letters etc., there seems to be a conflict between the two
programmes,
can anyone help me solve this problem, by the way at work I am using
Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Maureen Maureen is offline

Hi

Here is an update, I am able to answer some of your previous questions.

We are using Windows XP Professional,

Microsoft Office Word 2003.

I believe Outlook is set as our default Mail Client, but as I have set up
Outlook Express for receiving and sending emails will this alter? How do I
check this?

When we try to use our Address Book in Word for entering names and addresses
of our clients in letters we get the following message:

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot
fulfil the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it
as the default mail client".

Then when you click off the above you get the following appear:

"Logon failed. You must log on to Microsoft Exchange to access your address
book. Error Code: "Unspecified error".

I am not sure where I find Microsoft Exchange, can you please advise.

Hope I have given you sufficent info. Many thanks.

Maureen

Maureen wrote:
I have recently set up Outlook Express at work, not realising that the
Address Book that we use is in Microsoft Office Outlook. Now when we try
use our Address Book when we use Word 2003 for placing names and addresses
in letters etc., there seems to be a conflict between the two programmes,
can anyone help me solve this problem, by the way at work I am using
Windows XP.

Posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PA Bear [MS MVP] PA Bear [MS MVP] is offline

All things considered, you're asking for constant trouble if you have
Outlook Express (OE) configured as your default Mail Client. I would
/strongly/ recommend that you do the following, in order:

1. Export your OE data & mail account(s) information to Outlook (OL);

2a. Delete your OE identity (OE Tools | Identities | Manage identities) and
message store (http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain);

2b. Disable the availability of OE by unchecking OE in Add/Remove Programs |
Add/Remove Windows Components;

3. Reassert OL as the default Mail Client via Set Program Access and
Defaults; also see http://www.slipstick.com/config/defaultmailer.htm; and
then...

4. Disable sharing of (Windows) Address Book's contacts with OL, if enabled:

= Do you have this Registry key?...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4

= If not, STOP! If so, is there a DWORD named UseOutlook (NB: no space)
and is its value set to 1 (one)?

= If not, STOP! If so, Address Book is configured to share contacts with
Outlook. Change the DWORD value to 0 (zero) and all should be well with
your world. (If that DWORD is not present, don't create it, and don't alter
any other DWORD values.)

cf. http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm#share
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191946