Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Ann Ann is offline

Default mail merge: group

I have a letter that wants to send out login information for parents to our
web access.

In the letter, most fields is for the parent, but we also needs to list the
students names of the family.

the data source excel file generated from our student information system is
all based on student information.
For example, this file is generated for a family with 3 students. all are
the same, only student_ID and student name are diferent
student1_ID,student1name, parent name, username, password, familyID
student2_ID, student2name,parent name, username, password, familyID.
student3_ID, student3name,parent name, username, password, familyID.
In the mail merge word document,

I will list something like:

Students: student1name, student1name,student3name
Parent name: Username, login.

Can word use this data source to do word merge, I mean it seems I need to
group by familyID, then pull the information, I know I can do this in crystal
report, but cannot figure out a way to do it in word.
Is that correct?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You are trying to perform a "multiple items per condition (=key field)"
mailmerge which Word does not really have the ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

or at

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Can you send a mail merge to a large group WITH an attachment? LMK@work Mailmerge 23 March 12th 10 09:07 PM
take labels and make them into a contact group for a mail merge? Wicket Mailmerge 1 January 10th 08 09:38 AM
mail merge - group by query from access Fishpond Mailmerge 4 September 26th 06 10:06 PM
Mail merge by group Parisa Mailmerge 4 December 8th 05 09:00 PM
e-mail merge different records to group of individuals? Plastic Graduate Mailmerge 1 April 18th 05 09:23 AM