Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
h_g h_g is offline

Default Converting 2007 Mailmerge document to 2003

Although the .docx document is converted to .doc and is readable by Word
2003, the accompanying database .mdb file is not. How can this be converted
so that a Mailmerge document created in Word 2007 and stored as a .doc
document can be read and merged by Word 2003?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You could use Word 2007 with a Directory type mail merge main document to
which the .mdb file is attached to create a Word document that contains a
table with each record from the data source as a row of data in that table.
To do this, in the Directory mail merge main document, insert a one row
table into the cells of which you insert the mergefields. Then, after
executing that merge to a new document, insert a row at the top of the table
into which you insert the names of the mergefields that you want to use in
your original mail merge main document. Then save that new document as a
Word 97-2003 document and attach it to the original main document as the
data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"h_g" wrote in message
Although the .docx document is converted to .doc and is readable by Word
2003, the accompanying database .mdb file is not. How can this be
converted
so that a Mailmerge document created in Word 2007 and stored as a .doc
document can be read and merged by Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
h_g h_g is offline

Doug:

Thanks for your reply. I discovered that my real problem is that I'm trying
to read an Office MSWord 2007 mailmerge file with a Works MSWord 2003 program
which wasn't designed to do it. Unless, of course, your approach would solve
that problem.

"h_g" wrote in message
Although the .docx document is converted to .doc and is readable by Word
2003, the accompanying database .mdb file is not. How can this be
converted
so that a Mailmerge document created in Word 2007 and stored as a .doc
document can be read and merged by Word 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

As the version of Word that you have is via Works, I suspect that it may not
have all of the converters that are available with the Office version of
Word. The work around that I suggested should however work in this case.