Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] YoureNotAtHomeNow@googlemail.com is offline

Default Page Numbering

Hello All. I can't seem to get out of this, have followed
instructions in various posts - but stuck. I'm going off my b****y
head!

10 pages. I want no numbers on the first 2, then the rest numbered 1
to 8, in the format Page X of Y. I've split the doc into 2 sections
ok, and 1-8 are appearing on the last 8 pages but pages one and two
are numbered 1 and 2. How can I get rid of those two page numbers?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote in message

Hello All. *I can't seem to get out of this, have followed
instructions in various posts - but stuck. *I'm going off my b****y
head!

10 pages. *I want no numbers on the first 2, then the rest numbered 1
to 8, in the format Page X of Y. *I've split the doc into 2 sections
ok, and 1-8 are appearing on the last 8 pages but pages one and two
are numbered 1 and 2. *How can I get rid of those two page numbers?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Hello Suzanne

Thanks for that - I've done it and I'm almost there, but... I've now
got no numbers on the first two pages but the next 8, which I want to
show 1 of 8, 2 of 8 ... up to 8 of 8 are starting 2 of 10, 3 of 10 ...
up to 9 of 10 !!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

How many pages are there? If there are 10 pages, then Word is displaying the
correct result. If you want it to show only 8 pages, then edit the {PAGES}
field to { {PAGES } -2 }. Or if that is too difficult, delete the {PAGES}
field and enter 8 - but that won't dynamically update if you add/reduces
pages later.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message

Hello All. I can't seem to get out of this, have followed
instructions in various posts - but stuck. I'm going off my b****y
head!

10 pages. I want no numbers on the first 2, then the rest numbered 1
to 8, in the format Page X of Y. I've split the doc into 2 sections
ok, and 1-8 are appearing on the last 8 pages but pages one and two
are numbered 1 and 2. How can I get rid of those two page numbers?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Hello Suzanne

Thanks for that - I've done it and I'm almost there, but... I've now
got no numbers on the first two pages but the next 8, which I want to
show 1 of 8, 2 of 8 ... up to 8 of 8 are starting 2 of 10, 3 of 10 ...
up to 9 of 10 !!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote in message

Hello All. I can't seem to get out of this, have followed
instructions in various posts - but stuck. I'm going off my b****y
head!

10 pages. I want no numbers on the first 2, then the rest numbered 1
to 8, in the format Page X of Y. I've split the doc into 2 sections
ok, and 1-8 are appearing on the last 8 pages but pages one and two
are numbered 1 and 2. How can I get rid of those two page numbers?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Hello Suzanne

Thanks for that - I've done it and I'm almost there, but... I've now
got no numbers on the first two pages but the next 8, which I want to
show 1 of 8, 2 of 8 ... up to 8 of 8 are starting 2 of 10, 3 of 10 ...
up to 9 of 10 !!!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Terry.

I always have problems with numbering, headers, footers, etc. For
example, when I go to View Header & Footer, that seems to change the
layout of the whole document - shifting things up or down, and then I
sometimes have to shift the the Footer up because, on printing, only
part or none of the page number shows on the print. Any general
tips? Would it make sense to set up sections, page numbering,
headers, footers, etc before starting to compile a document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The answer is to create templates. With templates, you can create exactly
what you need and reuse it repeatedly. When you view H&Fs, the view seems to
change because H&Fs are faded out in normal editing. If page numbers don't
print, it is because the Footer margin is set too low and is in the
unprintable border of the page that. With many printers, the unprintable
area of the bottom border is surprisingly large.

To repeat the advice one of my colleagues gave someone earlier today...

The key is preparation - you need to create a good template to start with.
Take a look at these articles...

Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Creating Custom Toolbars for Templates

Why use Microsoft Word's built-in heading styles?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

Regards: Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I have just thought about the change in appearance when you go to View,
H&Fs. You have probably got the HideWhiteSpace option toggle on. If you move
the mouse pointer so that it is midway between two pages, the pointer will
change to 2 opposing arrow. Double-click now and you will toggle the H&Fs
on/off. Normally you should leave them on.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote in message

[...]

headers, footers, etc before starting to compile a document?- Hide quoted text -

Suzanne & Terry - thanks - I'm learning!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote in message

[...]

Can't get those opposing arrows, tho... any other way i can try?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Under the View menu - hide or unhide white space (pre-Word 2007) or Office
Button, Word Options, Display tab in Word 2007.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP