Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Line for footnotes at the end of my text--how to eliminate?

I have a line that looks like the line created on top of the footnotes at
the bottom of my pages--but this line is at the end of the document, and
there are no footnotes or endnotes below it. How can I get rid of it?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is the document displayed in Draft view? If so, then I believe you are
referring to the line that marks the end of document contents. To hide it,
switch to a different view.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
I have a line that looks like the line created on top of the footnotes at
the bottom of my pages--but this line is at the end of the document, and
there are no footnotes or endnotes below it. How can I get rid of it?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Stefan, thanks for replying, but no, its in print view.

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic

"Paul" wrote in message
I have a line that looks like the line created on top of the footnotes at
the bottom of my pages--but this line is at the end of the document, and
there are no footnotes or endnotes below it. How can I get rid of it?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...tRidOfLine.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Paul" wrote in message
I have a line that looks like the line created on top of the footnotes at
the bottom of my pages--but this line is at the end of the document, and
there are no footnotes or endnotes below it. How can I get rid of it?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

OK--the instructions didn't work. I went to the paragraph section and
selected no borders, but its still there. I was able to figure out how it
got there--I earlier inserted an endnote, then deleted it, but the line is
still there. Just to make sure, I created a new endnote, and the note was
placed immediately below the line. Unfortunately, after I deleted these
endnotes, that line remains.

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...tRidOfLine.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you just deleted the endnote and not its reference in the text, then it
is still there. Use Find to search for the endnote reference (^e) or use
Browse by Endnote; you may not be able to see it in the text, but if you
select a character before and after the position where Find stops and
delete, then replace the deleted characters, that should take care of it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote in message
OK--the instructions didn't work. I went to the paragraph section and
selected no borders, but its still there. I was able to figure out how it
got there--I earlier inserted an endnote, then deleted it, but the line is
still there. Just to make sure, I created a new endnote, and the note was
placed immediately below the line. Unfortunately, after I deleted these
endnotes, that line remains.

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...tRidOfLine.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Thanks, Suzanne. That did it. I had inserted an earlier endnote, deleted its
text but forgot to delete the note itself in the main/body text. After
finding it, that original line I was complaining about was gone as well.

BTW--I wasn't able to get that sideways-greater sign. I tried using the Ctrl
key as well as shift but that didn't do it. Do I need to go into the charmap
to do this, or the InsertSymbol chart?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you just deleted the endnote and not its reference in the text, then it
is still there. Use Find to search for the endnote reference (^e) or use
Browse by Endnote; you may not be able to see it in the text, but if you
select a character before and after the position where Find stops and
delete, then replace the deleted characters, that should take care of it.

http://word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On most keyboards the caret (^) is a shifted 6. For the future, remember
that the correct way to delete a footnote or endnote is to delete the
reference mark in the document body.

http://word.mvps.org