Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Small footnote text after pasting text in

Occasionally I have seen in Word, a footnote being displayed in incredibly
small text. I did nothing (like change the font to .0001 or something like
that) to make it small--this happened on its own. You can see what I'm
talking about in this screenshot:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...0630161554.jpg I got that
image by placing my cursor on the footnote in the text itself. You can see
that Word has no problem displaying the tooltip that has the footnote's
contents, but seems to choke for some reason on the text of the footnote
itself at the bottom of the page. What can I do to avoid or resolve this?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Investigate the font formatting of the Footnote Text style; also make sure
that Footnote Reference (which is superscript) has not been applied to the
entire footnote.

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote in message
Occasionally I have seen in Word, a footnote being displayed in incredibly
small text. I did nothing (like change the font to .0001 or something
like that) to make it small--this happened on its own. You can see what
I'm talking about in this screenshot:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...0630161554.jpg I got that
image by placing my cursor on the footnote in the text itself. You can see
that Word has no problem displaying the tooltip that has the footnote's
contents, but seems to choke for some reason on the text of the footnote
itself at the bottom of the page. What can I do to avoid or resolve this?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

OK Thanks Suzanne. I just brought that document up and that footnote was in
a normal font, but I know I've seen it before. Might part of the problem
been with my use of the web view (along with Print format)? I dunno. Next
time I see that I check out the font of the footnote itself.

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
.. .

"Paul" wrote in message
Occasionally I have seen in Word, a footnote being displayed in
incredibly small text. I did nothing (like change the font to .0001 or
something like that) to make it small--this happened on its own. You can
see what I'm talking about in this screenshot:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...0630161554.jpg I got that
image by placing my cursor on the footnote in the text itself. You can
see that Word has no problem displaying the tooltip that has the
footnote's contents, but seems to choke for some reason on the text of
the footnote itself at the bottom of the page. What can I do to avoid or
resolve this?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since Web pages don't have footnotes per se, I would expect the display in
Web Layout view to be different.

http://word.mvps.org

"Paul" wrote in message
Occasionally I have seen in Word, a footnote being displayed in
incredibly small text. I did nothing (like change the font to .0001 or
something like that) to make it small--this happened on its own. You can
see what I'm talking about in this screenshot:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...0630161554.jpg I got that
image by placing my cursor on the footnote in the text itself. You can
see that Word has no problem displaying the tooltip that has the
footnote's contents, but seems to choke for some reason on the text of
the footnote itself at the bottom of the page. What can I do to avoid
or resolve this?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

I noticed this same problem again, and looked this thread up. In fact, the
text of the footnote was not in Footnote Reference, but Footnote Text; but
the view was not the Print. For some reason it was in Draft mode (not sure
why, I never use that--perhaps an inadvertent click some time?). Changing it
to Print mode turned everything around to normal.

--

"Paul" wrote in message
Occasionally I have seen in Word, a footnote being displayed in
incredibly small text. I did nothing (like change the font to .0001 or
something like that) to make it small--this happened on its own. You
can see what I'm talking about in this screenshot:
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...0630161554.jpg I got that
image by placing my cursor on the footnote in the text itself. You can
see that Word has no problem displaying the tooltip that has the
footnote's contents, but seems to choke for some reason on the text of
the footnote itself at the bottom of the page. What can I do to avoid
or resolve this?

--
Paul
Vista Home Basic
Office 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word, different views may have different zoom levels, which could explain
what you are seeing.

Note that Footnote Reference is a character style used for the actual
footnote number as well as for its reference in the main body of the
document, while Footnote Text is the paragraph style used for footnote text.

You can use Find and Replace to reapply the correct style if necessary.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP