Maile Fulton

Default Lost Document

Yesterday I was working all day on a document, but hadn't saved a hard copy
(I think it was still in the Document1 stage). I had minimized the document
while I was doing something else and left it that way over night. This
morning, I returned to find my task bar empty, and a pop-up window at the
bottom right telling me that windows had been updated and had required a
restart. When I opened Word it didn't prompt with any autorecover box, and I
haven't been able to find anything. Is there any hope that any part of it
might be in a temp file somewhere or is there anyplace I can go to see if it
was saved under autorecover somewhere?
Maile Fulton

Well I kept trying anything and everything I could possibly think of and in
the end I found my un-saved document!!!!

I have a Norton protected recycle bin, and when I had it pull up all files
in the bin, and searched by date, I found an autorecover version of my
"document1" that I had not saved! When i opened it, it was the last version
saved by autorecover before it apparently did the update and restarted the
computer around 3am! Thank GOD!!!! Love Norton! they're the best! For
anyone who has a similar problem, try checking your recycle bin, especially
if it's a Norton one!

For future reference, it is insanity to leave a file open overnight without
ever saving it. I personally think it's also insanity to give Windows carte
blanche to update itself and restart itself without human intervention. I do
use Automatic Update, but Windows must ask for my permission to download the
updates, to install them, and to restart the computer.

"Maile Fulton" wrote in message
Well I kept trying anything and everything I could possibly think of and

in
the end I found my un-saved document!!!!

I have a Norton protected recycle bin, and when I had it pull up all files
in the bin, and searched by date, I found an autorecover version of my
"document1" that I had not saved! When i opened it, it was the last

version
saved by autorecover before it apparently did the update and restarted the
computer around 3am! Thank GOD!!!! Love Norton! they're the best! For
anyone who has a similar problem, try checking your recycle bin,

especially
if it's a Norton one!

Maile Fulton

I agree. Definately one of my stupider moves to leave the file open
overnight without bothering to save it! Just had one of those nights where
you're too tired to remember you were working on something that you hadn't
yet saved, and too tired to bother with shutting the system down properly.
And normally I'd never allow Windows to update itself alone, unfortunately I
was using my boyfriend's computer after the DC jack on my laptop broke, and I
had to send it in for service. I doubt he even knows that Windows is set to
update by itself, he probably just followed the suggestion of the stupid
pop-up bubbles that came with SP2 (I hate SP2!!!!!) about automatice updates
without knowing what he was setting it for.

Luckily, I was saved, and just wanted people to know that if they have
Norton (I think the recycle bin feature came with my Systemworks) it can
possibly save your butt when you're extraordinarily stupid like I was and
(essentially) close a document you hadn't saved! I don't think I've ever
felt a product was more worth it's purchase price (which was very cheap
already, since I bought it on sale)!

Okay, you're excused! I agree that Norton seems to have paid for itself with
this rescue! In the future, though, remember to save early and often: always
save a document within 5-15 minutes of beginning work on it and at
5-15-minute intervals thereafter. Conventional wisdom is not to allow more
work between saves than you're willing to lose/redo, but the best advice
I've heard is just to get into the habit of pressing Ctrl+S every time your
hands are idle on the keyboard.