Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
crystal

Default How do I change numbering style in a document

Two problems:
1. I have a document with that uses straight numbering as:
1., 2., 3., etc.
Now I want to change that to "outlined numbering."
I highlighted the numbers and clicked on the "bullets and Numbering" tab,
and select what I want, I can't get it to kick in.

What is the correct procedure?

Second question:
When I start typing a list and type "1." then tab . . . the program
automatically indents 5 spaces for numbers 1 and 2. but when I hit the enter
key to go back to the margin for line 3, the program does not indent. Then I
have to hit tab, tab, and back space and some other "crazy" series of buttons
to get the numbers to line up. what is the procedure to correct this problem?

thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Y3J5c3RhbA==?=,

Which version of Word?

For 2: look in Tools/Options/General and if anything involving WordPerfect is
activated, turn it off and see if that makes a difference.

for 1: Please describe how you are starting the "straight numbering" to begin
with.

Two problems:
1. I have a document with that uses straight numbering as:
1., 2., 3., etc.
Now I want to change that to "outlined numbering."
I highlighted the numbers and clicked on the "bullets and Numbering" tab,
and select what I want, I can't get it to kick in.

What is the correct procedure?

Second question:
When I start typing a list and type "1." then tab . . . the program
automatically indents 5 spaces for numbers 1 and 2. but when I hit the enter
key to go back to the margin for line 3, the program does not indent. Then I
have to hit tab, tab, and back space and some other "crazy" series of buttons
to get the numbers to line up. what is the procedure to correct this problem?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)