Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gerry Seymour

Default No Mail Merge menu item on Tools menu

[Word 2K, WinXP Home SP2]

Folks...

I set up a pair of files to create a mail merge today, only to be defeated
when I discovered that my Tools menu has no Mail Merge item to select. If I
want, can customize my toolbars to add some Mail Merge buttons, but nothing
to allow me to assign the data source or other functions contained in the
Mail Merge helper.

I've looked on my Office installation disc, thinking maybe I had simply not
installed the Mail Merge tool, but can't find anything that allows me to
select whether to install this or not.

Can someone help me figure this out, or give me some instructions on how I
can work around this missing item?

-Gerry
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gerry Seymour

Update on my issue:

I found the "Mail Merge" command on the Customize dialog, and added it to my
toolbars and menu. Problem solved!...or not? The resulting Mail Merge items
(both the button I placed on my toolbar and the menu item I placed on my
Tools menu) are disabled. I have not been able to find any reference to being
able to disable this functionality - did I do this when I was installing?

"Gerry Seymour" wrote:

[Word 2K, WinXP Home SP2]

Folks...

I set up a pair of files to create a mail merge today, only to be defeated
when I discovered that my Tools menu has no Mail Merge item to select. If I
want, can customize my toolbars to add some Mail Merge buttons, but nothing
to allow me to assign the data source or other functions contained in the
Mail Merge helper.

I've looked on my Office installation disc, thinking maybe I had simply not
installed the Mail Merge tool, but can't find anything that allows me to
select whether to install this or not.

Can someone help me figure this out, or give me some instructions on how I
can work around this missing item?

-Gerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

As far as i can see in Word 2000 you can still open
Tools|Customize|Commands, select category "All Commands", then locate
MailMergeHelper in the list of commands on the right hand side, and drag it
to a menu or toolbar. I've just done that on a Win2000 system, but can't
check on WinXP Home.

If you try to do that, where does it go wrong?

did I do this when I was installing?

As far as I can tell you can't avoid installing Mailmerge - some types of
data source may be unavailable, but that's about it.

Peter Jamieson

"Gerry Seymour" wrote:

[Word 2K, WinXP Home SP2]

Folks...

I set up a pair of files to create a mail merge today, only to be
defeated
when I discovered that my Tools menu has no Mail Merge item to select. If
want, can customize my toolbars to add some Mail Merge buttons, but
nothing
to allow me to assign the data source or other functions contained in the
Mail Merge helper.

I've looked on my Office installation disc, thinking maybe I had simply
not
installed the Mail Merge tool, but can't find anything that allows me to
select whether to install this or not.

Can someone help me figure this out, or give me some instructions on how
can work around this missing item?

-Gerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gerry Seymour

Peter...

Thanks! It appears I'd added the wrong item from AllCommands, previously.
This appears to have solved my problem.

-Gerry

"Gerry Seymour" wrote:

[Word 2K, WinXP Home SP2]

Folks...

I set up a pair of files to create a mail merge today, only to be
defeated
when I discovered that my Tools menu has no Mail Merge item to select. If
want, can customize my toolbars to add some Mail Merge buttons, but
nothing
to allow me to assign the data source or other functions contained in the
Mail Merge helper.

I've looked on my Office installation disc, thinking maybe I had simply
not
installed the Mail Merge tool, but can't find anything that allows me to
select whether to install this or not.

Can someone help me figure this out, or give me some instructions on how
can work around this missing item?

-Gerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JITU JITU is offline

Unfortunately, I am having major problems trying drag the Mail Merge option
into the Menu or or anywhere else for that matter. Is there any other method
except a sledge hammer?

"Gerry Seymour" wrote:

[Word 2K, WinXP Home SP2]

Folks...

I set up a pair of files to create a mail merge today, only to be
defeated
when I discovered that my Tools menu has no Mail Merge item to select. If
want, can customize my toolbars to add some Mail Merge buttons, but
nothing
to allow me to assign the data source or other functions contained in the
Mail Merge helper.

I've looked on my Office installation disc, thinking maybe I had simply
not
installed the Mail Merge tool, but can't find anything that allows me to
select whether to install this or not.

Can someone help me figure this out, or give me some instructions on how
can work around this missing item?

-Gerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which version of Word?

Can you describe what happens when you try to drag the option from the
Tools|Customize dialog box? Initially, I would just try to drag it to /any
toolbar/.

Peter Jamieson