Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer MJ Schaer is offline

Default New to Word2007

Is there any way to select table and figure captions so that only certain
words show up in the List of Tables and List of Figures rather than the
entire paragraph. I've tried changing the style to Linked (paragraph and
character--I don't even know what that is as Word's help is no help) to no
avail. After I generate a List of Figures and List of Tables I have to go
back in and delete the words "Table" and "Figure" from each line. (This is
so easy in WordPerfect. grumble, grumble, grumble)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Is the problem that you know how to do this in Word 2003 and earlier,
but don't know how to do it in Word 2007? Or is the problem that you
don't know how to do it in any version of Word, and you're blaming your
lack of skill on Word 2007?

Use a Style Separator or a hidden paragraph mark to separate the part of
the caption that you want to appear in the List of Figures and List of
Tables from the remaining part of the caption. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=285059 "How to create a table of
contents by marking text in Word" for general principles. The article
addresses Heading styles and Table of Contents, but the same steps apply
to Caption styles and List of Tables and List of Figures.

MJ Schaer wrote:

Is there any way to select table and figure captions so that only certain
words show up in the List of Tables and List of Figures rather than the
entire paragraph. I've tried changing the style to Linked (paragraph and
character--I don't even know what that is as Word's help is no help) to no
avail. After I generate a List of Figures and List of Tables I have to go
back in and delete the words "Table" and "Figure" from each line. (This is
so easy in WordPerfect. grumble, grumble, grumble)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer MJ Schaer is offline

Thank you. I'll try it. I just find Word2007's help terrible. Maybe it was
the same in earlier versions, too, but I hadn't had to use them as often.

Word makes everything so complicated. Sorry. My opinion, I know.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

MJ Schaer wrote:

Is there any way to select table and figure captions so that only certain
words show up in the List of Tables and List of Figures rather than the
entire paragraph. I've tried changing the style to Linked (paragraph and
character--I don't even know what that is as Word's help is no help) to
no avail. After I generate a List of Figures and List of Tables I have to
(This is so easy in WordPerfect. grumble, grumble, grumble)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer MJ Schaer is offline

Thanks, I have to work in Compatibility Mode, as I need to send the
documents to those who have earlier versions, and the Style Separators don't
seem to work. I'll read the web page and try this method. Appreciate your
help.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

MJ Schaer wrote:

Is there any way to select table and figure captions so that only
certain words show up in the List of Tables and List of Figures rather
than the entire paragraph. I've tried changing the style to Linked
(paragraph and character--I don't even know what that is as Word's help
is no help) to no avail. After I generate a List of Figures and List of
Tables I have to go back in and delete the words "Table" and "Figure"
from each line. (This is so easy in WordPerfect. grumble, grumble,
grumble)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer MJ Schaer is offline

You would think.

Maybe the problem is that someone else originally created this file on a
MAC. Whatever the reason, no matter which method I try, I cannot get it to
work. On a new, blank document, it works. Thanks anyway.

"garfield-n-odie [MVP]" wrote in
message ...

MJ Schaer wrote:

Is there any way to select table and figure captions so that only
certain words show up in the List of Tables and List of Figures rather
than the entire paragraph. I've tried changing the style to Linked
(paragraph and character--I don't even know what that is as Word's
help is no help) to no avail. After I generate a List of Figures and
List of Tables I have to go back in and delete the words "Table" and
"Figure"

from each line. (This is so easy in WordPerfect. grumble, grumble,

grumble)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MJ Schaer MJ Schaer is offline

Hey, got it to work. Had to close down the program and then reopen it. Then
I applied the Normal style to the table title, cut the text I wanted in the
List, applied the Style Separator, pasted the text, then applied another
Style Separator. And, it worked.

There must have been a blip in the template and by closing down the program
and reopening it, the program was reset. Thanks a bunch!