Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fran Fran is offline

Default Creating an Index

I am working with a large multi-chapter official County government document
that is broken down into fifteen Articles (chapters). Each Article is
further broken down into Sections (2-101, 2-102, etc.) and there are also
page numbers in each Article (II-1, II-2, etc.). I have been given the task
of creating an index for this complex document. Is there a way to link the
index to a particular Section instead of page number? Also, how can I create
one index from multiple Articles? Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Hi Fran

Fran wrote:
I am working with a large multi-chapter official County government document
that is broken down into fifteen Articles (chapters). Each Article is
further broken down into Sections (2-101, 2-102, etc.) and there are also
page numbers in each Article (II-1, II-2, etc.). I have been given the task
of creating an index for this complex document. Is there a way to link the
index to a particular Section instead of page number?

You mean, to generate an Index from one section only instead of the
whole document? ISTR that you can run an index over a bookmark. [Check
the INDEX field code switches in offline help.] For that, you need to
create a bookmark covering the whole section.

Also, how can I create
one index from multiple Articles? Thanks!!

Multiple and contiguous? Same as above.

Otherwise, I'm not sure if there's a good solution. You can try what
happens if you hide a whole section/article, maybe that way INDEX won't
pick up its XE fields? Else, you would probably need additional XE
fields with identifiers (check XE field code switches ...).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Creating an index Jeff New Users 5 June 6th 07 09:27 PM
Creating an index Carlos Felipe França da Fonseca Formatting Long Documents 1 May 29th 07 02:50 AM
creating an index Gayle Page Layout 1 February 10th 07 04:13 AM
creating an index Amin Tazifor Microsoft Word Help 1 April 2nd 05 03:56 PM
creating an index, etc. SandyTechWriter Microsoft Word Help 0 February 9th 05 07:17 PM