John Blackwell

Default PLEASE HELP - Graphics will not keep their position

I have a large (25 page) Word 2003 doc that includes a number of text boxes
and graphics. The graphics won't hold their position on the page. I
position them using the Format Picture function but as soon as I move to
another page, the graphics shift.

Please can someone help????
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9obiBCbGFja3dlbGw=?=,

I have a large (25 page) Word 2003 doc that includes a number of text boxes
and graphics. The graphics won't hold their position on the page. I
position them using the Format Picture function but as soon as I move to
another page, the graphics shift.

1. Which veiw are you working in?

2. I assume the graphics have text flow formatting? Which kind?

3. When you "move to another page", are you typing, or just scrolling?

4. In what mannter do the graphics "shift"? (up, down, left, right...)

5. Which commands are you using in Format/Picture?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

John Blackwell

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. I'm working in Print View.
2. I have selected the Square text wrapping format.
3. All I need to do is scroll to another page and place the cursor on the
page.
4. The graphics (and text boxes) jump either to the margin or to the centre
of the page.
5. The sole command I'm using in the format page is the layout option -
square text wrapping.

Does this help?

John

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Sm9obiBCbGFja3dlbGw=?=,

I have a large (25 page) Word 2003 doc that includes a number of text boxes
and graphics. The graphics won't hold their position on the page. I
position them using the Format Picture function but as soon as I move to
another page, the graphics shift.

1. Which veiw are you working in?

2. I assume the graphics have text flow formatting? Which kind?

3. When you "move to another page", are you typing, or just scrolling?

4. In what mannter do the graphics "shift"? (up, down, left, right...)

5. Which commands are you using in Format/Picture?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9obiBCbGFja3dlbGw=?=,

1. I'm working in Print View.
2. I have selected the Square text wrapping format.
3. All I need to do is scroll to another page and place the cursor on the
page.
4. The graphics (and text boxes) jump either to the margin or to the centre
of the page.
5. The sole command I'm using in the format page is the layout option -
square text wrapping.

Does this help?

It at least gives me an idea what about which suggestions I can try :-) I
suspect that something in this document is "broken". The question is whether to
try and continue to work in the document, or to try recovering as much as
possible to a new document. Hmmm.

Try this first, and if things are still unstable, we'll go to "recovery" mode

In the Format dialog box, Layout tab, there's an "Advanced" button. Behind that
is a tab where you can explicitly set whether the graphic should "Move with
text", and exactly how it should be positioned relative to the text, or the
page/margins, both vertically as well as horizontally.

Select any one graphic that's consistently giving you problems and try making
settings in here. Does it stay put after you position it this way?

If not, try: Ctrl+A, Shift+Left Arrow (this selects everything except the last
paragraph mark). copy/Paste to a new document. Are things any more stable here?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

timtak

Dear John Blackwell

I find that this is the biggest problem when using word and the
main reason why I might move to a DPT program one day. Even
using the position relative to the page setting on images they
jump around. It is really frustrating. I know your pain.

The reason is AFAIK because there is only one layer in word so
all the images and text are in the same layer, sort of in the
same textbox.

There are loads of people having the same problem

The method I now use to get around the problem is to split the
document up into 25 files of one page each. I then use the header
and footer as two (or is it one?) extra layers in which to position
images. If you put an image in the footer then it will stay put.

This may not be a solution for you.

Perhaps you might consider DPT software such as, since this is
ms forum, Publisher. I tried it and thought it was quite good.

Tim

"" wrote:

I have a large (25 page) Word 2003 doc that includes a number of text boxes
and graphics. The graphics won't hold their position on the page. I
position them using the Format Picture function but as soon as I move to
another page, the graphics shift.

Please can someone help????

Daiya Mitchell

Well, for sure other programs are better than Word at Desktop Publishing (I
assume that's what you mean by DPT?), but it's not true that Word only has
one layer. It has a draw layer and a text layer and images can be in either
one. You may be interested in this article:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/DrawLayer.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/