Karl H

Default If then editing

I made an if -then field and when I try to correct a spelling error by going
into the field-toggle, it doesn't retain the correction in the spelling
error. Is there a different way to correct the error? Some VB editor I should
use?
Thank you,
Karl
Peter Jamieson

I'm not sure what you are saying he
a. which version of Word are you using?
b. If I have a text such as

ths is baddly written

The Word 2003 UK English spelling checker marks "ths" and "baddly"

If I put the same text inside an IF field result, e.g.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD x } = 0 "ths is baddly written" "" }

then Word 2003 does not check the text at all.

Is that the sort of IF field you have? If so, I am not sure what you mean by

it doesn't retain the correction in the spelling
error.

Can you clarify?

Peter Jamieson

"Karl H" wrote in message
news
I made an if -then field and when I try to correct a spelling error by
going
into the field-toggle, it doesn't retain the correction in the spelling
error. Is there a different way to correct the error? Some VB editor I
should
use?
Thank you,
Karl

Karl H

Hi Peter,
I am actually using Word 97 as it has a faster mail merge data search than
the new versions.

You are correct in your assumption of my problem. When I go back to change
the text to "badly written" and save the form letter, it continues to write
the text as originally written with the incorrect spelling.

I suppose I could just write a new form letter, deleting and re-writing the
If, then statement, but it seems like I should be able to just make a
correction more easily.

Karl

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I'm not sure what you are saying he
a. which version of Word are you using?
b. If I have a text such as

ths is baddly written

The Word 2003 UK English spelling checker marks "ths" and "baddly"

If I put the same text inside an IF field result, e.g.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD x } = 0 "ths is baddly written" "" }

then Word 2003 does not check the text at all.

Is that the sort of IF field you have? If so, I am not sure what you mean by

it doesn't retain the correction in the spelling
error.

Can you clarify?

Peter Jamieson

"Karl H" wrote in message
news
I made an if -then field and when I try to correct a spelling error by
going
into the field-toggle, it doesn't retain the correction in the spelling
error. Is there a different way to correct the error? Some VB editor I
should
use?
Thank you,
Karl

Peter Jamieson

I suppose I could just write a new form letter, deleting and re-writing
the
If, then statement, but it seems like I should be able to just make a
correction more easily.

This is what I don't really understand. However, if you are making a change
to the /result/ of the IF field, the change will be lost when you re-execute
the IF, e.g. by selecting it and using F9, or printing the document, print
preview etc. Wht you really need to do is use Alt-F9 to look at the
underlying field code and fix the text there, then select the IF field and
press F9.

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I'm not sure what you are saying he
a. which version of Word are you using?
b. If I have a text such as

ths is baddly written

The Word 2003 UK English spelling checker marks "ths" and "baddly"

If I put the same text inside an IF field result, e.g.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD x } = 0 "ths is baddly written" "" }

then Word 2003 does not check the text at all.

Is that the sort of IF field you have? If so, I am not sure what you mean
by

it doesn't retain the correction in the spelling
error.

Can you clarify?

Peter Jamieson

"Karl H" wrote in message
news
I made an if -then field and when I try to correct a spelling error by
going
into the field-toggle, it doesn't retain the correction in the
spelling
error. Is there a different way to correct the error? Some VB editor I
should
use?
Thank you,
Karl

Karl H

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I suppose I could just write a new form letter, deleting and re-writing
the
If, then statement, but it seems like I should be able to just make a
correction more easily.

This is what I don't really understand. However, if you are making a change
to the /result/ of the IF field, the change will be lost when you re-execute
the IF, e.g. by selecting it and using F9, or printing the document, print
preview etc. Wht you really need to do is use Alt-F9 to look at the
underlying field code and fix the text there, then select the IF field and
press F9.

Peter Jamieson

Hi Peter,

I had tried that before and it didn't work, but it seems to be working
now....so, I guess I did something wrong. Thank you!
KH

Editing Downloaded templates Seth Microsoft Word Help 1 April 11th 05 10:37 PM
View editing? Bob Newman New Users 1 April 11th 05 10:25 PM
Link editing functions benthiczone Page Layout 1 March 19th 05 07:58 PM
Is there software with extensive grammar checks or editing? artru Microsoft Word Help 0 March 10th 05 09:23 PM
Were is the setting in Word to display editing and changes off to. Hearseman New Users 2 January 20th 05 05:57 PM