Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffB JeffB is offline

Default Set default style - Word 2007

I'm trying to change the default style to Word 2003. I can select the style
and font however the "Set as Default" button is greyed out. Does anybody
know how I can get this button enabled?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
StevenM[_2_] StevenM[_2_] is offline

Jeff,

Goto Format - Font rather than Format - Style
See also:
http://www.addbalance.com/word/defaultfont.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291291

Steven Craig Miller

"JeffB" wrote:

I'm trying to change the default style to Word 2003. I can select the style
and font however the "Set as Default" button is greyed out. Does anybody
know how I can get this button enabled?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffB JeffB is offline

Thanks Steven. That works for the font but I'd really like to be able to get
the Word 2003 style applied. Any idea how I can get the "Set as Default"
button enabled?

"JeffB" wrote:

I'm trying to change the default style to Word 2003. I can select the style
and font however the "Set as Default" button is greyed out. Does anybody
know how I can get this button enabled?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I think what you mean is that when you use File New to get a blank
document, you want the style of the single empty paragraph to be something
other than Normal style. There is no "Default" button for that.

To do the job, open the Normal.dot template itself (use File Open,
navigate to the Templates folder within your profile, and select
Normal.dot). Select the style you want and apply it to the single empty
paragraph. To be absolutely sure Word will save the file, insert a space and
delete it to "dirty" the template. Save and close.

More information is at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...alTemplate.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"JeffB" wrote:

I'm trying to change the default style to Word 2003. I can select
the style and font however the "Set as Default" button is greyed
out. Does anybody know how I can get this button enabled?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffB JeffB is offline

Hi Jay. Thanks for your response but now I'm confused. Maybe I'm not
describing my issue properly.

When I open a new Word 2007 document I want to change the style to Word
2003. I can select the style but I can't make it default. I used this
article from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921174 but I can't do step 3.
The Set as Default button is not enabled.

"JeffB" wrote:

I'm trying to change the default style to Word 2003. I can select
the style and font however the "Set as Default" button is greyed
out. Does anybody know how I can get this button enabled?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You're right, I did misinterpret your question.

The Set As Default button should be enabled. The fact that it isn't may
point to some problem in the Normal.dotm template or elsewhere.

As a troubleshooting step, with Word closed, go to the Templates folder,

%appdata%\Microsoft\Templates

and rename Normal.dotm to something else, such as OldNormal.dotm. Then start
Word, which will build a new template from its internal defaults. Try again
to set the Word 2003 style set as the default. Is the button enabled now?

If it's still disabled, the cause could be an add-in. Try disabling them one
at a time (in Office button Word Options Add-Ins, select an add-in type
and click Go, and uncheck a box) to see whether that makes a difference.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

I think what you mean is that when you use File New to get a blank
document, you want the style of the single empty paragraph to be
something other than Normal style. There is no "Default" button for
that.

To do the job, open the Normal.dot template itself (use File Open,
navigate to the Templates folder within your profile, and select
Normal.dot). Select the style you want and apply it to the single
empty paragraph. To be absolutely sure Word will save the file,
insert a space and delete it to "dirty" the template. Save and close.

More information is at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...alTemplate.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

"JeffB" wrote:

I'm trying to change the default style to Word 2003. I can select
the style and font however the "Set as Default" button is greyed
out. Does anybody know how I can get this button enabled?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JeffB JeffB is offline

That was it Jay! I renamed the normal template and the set as default button
is working now. Thanks for your help!

jeff