Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tadwick Tadwick is offline

Default Normal template - work group templates and user templates

Our organization just upgraded to Word 2007 and we appear to have lost our
old default styles. I don't know if this is because the template extension
has changed in Word 2007 or if the old normal.dot files were somehow replaced.

Anyhow, going forward what is the best way to manage the default document
styles and how can we redeploy the old styles?

Also, when we delete our normal.dotm file in the user template location is
the new normal.dotm added from the work group template location?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Tadwick" wrote in message
Our organization just upgraded to Word 2007 and we appear to have lost our
old default styles. I don't know if this is because the template
extension
has changed in Word 2007 or if the old normal.dot files were somehow
replaced.

Anyhow, going forward what is the best way to manage the default document
styles and how can we redeploy the old styles?

Were those styles in the normal.dot file of your previous version? When
upgrading, Word doesn't delete any data files, so you should be able to copy
your styles from normal.dot to normal.dotm or preferably to a custom
template. (Locate and rename normal.dot so that the two files don't have the
same names; that way, it will be less confusing.)

Also, when we delete our normal.dotm file in the user template location is
the new normal.dotm added from the work group template location?

Usually, if you delete normal.dotm, with Word closed, and then start Word,
you should be getting a normal.dotm file with the factory default settings.
However, I don't think this applies if there is an old normal.dot file
available, in which case Word seems to make a duplicate of that file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tadwick Tadwick is offline

Stefan,

Thanks for responding - is therefore true that when you upgrade from Word
2003 to 2007 the normal.dot properties do not get transferred to the new
normal.dotm and that we have to do this manually?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

"Tadwick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, when I installed Word 2007, without uninstalling Word 2003,
settings were definitely transferred from my old normal.dot to normal.dotm.
(Actually, I had to rename normal.dot as well as normal.dotm for Word to
create a new normal.dotm with factory default settings.)

Since this doesn't seem to work for you, I guess you will have to use the
Organizer to transfer the styles manually.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP