Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DanielWalters6

Default Dynamic DataSource paths?

Hello Reader;

I'm currently in the process of creating a database.

I have a Word Document that contains a Mail Merge. The data source for this
mail merge is an Access Database Query.

They are both stored within the same folder.

I want to distribute the Database with the Microsoft Word Mail Merge.

But I'm finding that when I move them, the Mail Merge is still trying to
look up data that is stored in the original location of the database.

Which, obviously when put on a different computer/network drive doesn't
work. I presumed that it would be dynamic but it remains static.

I've spoken to a Teacher of I.T and computing and they suggested using a dot
(.) and a backslash ( \ ) to make WORD look within the folder that the mail
merge is stored in, and to find the filename that follows eg.

..\Databasefile.mdb

When I add this in, it still doesn't work. It accepts this as a file name,
but still WORD looks for the original copy of the database when I'm
transporting it.

I COULD leave instructions for the end-user to update the file path of the
database, but as this database will be transported around quite a lot, this
will be a pain in the arse.

I'd really appreciate any help that you could give me,

Cheers in advance

Frustrated Dan

Setting a default datasource location Junior Mailmerge 3 December 3rd 05 03:20 PM
Datasource Path LuckyLady Mailmerge 2 October 3rd 05 05:50 PM
Mailmerge datasource LuckyLady Mailmerge 1 September 2nd 05 06:26 PM
Using Secured Access Database as Datasource Josh Mailmerge 2 January 18th 05 01:33 PM
word 97 mailmerge with paradox files as datasource saj via OfficeKB.com Mailmerge 0 December 24th 04 12:14 PM