Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Default why is font raised above baseline

I have a W97 document that has all the content's fonts raised above the
baseline. I cannot find where this is defined. It seems to be gloabl within
the document.

There are about 15 different styles active in the document + normal style;
ALL are affected. All styles are defined on the font character spacing tab
with a baseline of normal, not raised. Language is defined as US English.

You can also see the tops of the capitalized letters in the document title
being cut off. (I have text boundaries turned on which let's me see what's
being cutoff; it shows up in print preview too.) Further, I am editing a
document for a coworker, and when I use strikethrough any place in the
document, it becomes an underline.

What is truly odd is when I view this same file in W2003, the problem is
gone. My coworkers have to work in W97 so I need to find a solution for this.

Any ideas on where I can look to fix this woud be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

One of the first lines of inquiry should be the printer driver being used by
those on Word 97. Suggest that they select some other printer driver (a
generic LaserJet, for example) and see if that corrects the display. If so,
then the driver is the problem, and perhaps they can find an updated or
substitute one for the printer they're using.

I can think of some other explanations for the phenomenon, but none that
would affect Word 97 and not Word 2003 (especially if Compatibility Options
for the document are set the same in both cases).

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Suzanne:

Thanks for the tips.

I used print preview to invoke the printer driver of a machine I print to
all the time. It lowered the font baseline partially, but not all the way.
What's weird, I printed a hard copy of this same document to this same
printer earlier today, before reading your post; the baseline continued to be
raised/unaffected, although I had not selected print preview first.

So, does print preview invoke something different in W97 then just sending a
job to a printer without preview?

I then went to options/compatibility and found it was set to Custom. When I
chose W97, the fonts returned to a normal baseline. (I've never had reason to
dink in the Compatibility option before.)

Philomena

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

There are some Compatibility Options that affect type placement, but since
the options travel with the document, it's hard to see why they would affect
different versions differently *unless* there is some option available in
Word 2003 and *not* available in Word 97 that affects this. One that comes
to mind is "Don't center exact line height lines," but it isn't checked in
either 2003 or 97, so that's irrelevant.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

One of the first lines of inquiry should be the printer driver being

used by
those on Word 97. Suggest that they select some other printer driver (a
generic LaserJet, for example) and see if that corrects the display. If

so,
then the driver is the problem, and perhaps they can find an updated or
substitute one for the printer they're using.

I can think of some other explanations for the phenomenon, but none that
would affect Word 97 and not Word 2003 (especially if Compatibility

for the document are set the same in both cases).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.