Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
crossfire crossfire is offline

Default Page Numbering not Available

Page numbering is not available at all. On going through the familiar process
I end up with the option as to where I want to place the page number but it
is greyed out.

I upgraded to Office 2007 Ultimate last week having trailed the Beta for
several months. Page numbering worked fine in the Beta/BTR version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Bill,

Page numbering is not available at all. On going through the familiar process
I end up with the option as to where I want to place the page number but it
is greyed out.

I upgraded to Office 2007 Ultimate last week having trailed the Beta for
several months. Page numbering worked fine in the Beta/BTR version.

OK, so we're dealing with Word 2007... Could you list the commands you're using,
just to be certain we're all on the same "page" :-)?

If you
- press Ctrl+F9 to insert { field brackets }
- type between them: Page
- Alt+F9 to toggle the field codes to field results

do you see a page number? (Just double-checking that the behind-the-scenes
functionality is working.)

And if you exit Word, then restart it in Safe Mode by holding down CTRL, does
the command set you try work now?

A common problem when moving from Beta to the final release version has been
that the Building Blocks.dotx (contains a lot of these things like
headers/footers/page numbers) from the earlier version is not compatible with
the release version of Word. It sounds as if this could be the problem here.
Search your system (also in hidden folders) for this file and try moving it
somewhere else (like to My Documents) and renaming it.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
crossfire crossfire is offline

Hi Cindy. Many thanks.

Commands as follows...
"Insert"
"Page Number"
"Bottom of Page"
At which point the option "flies out" but is greyed out.

I've tried the same thing using the option to insert the page number in a
footer but with exactly the same, greyed out, result.

I installed Office 2007 on my laptop as well, as an upgrade from 2003, and
page numbering works exactly as it should. I'm now having to transfer docs
via my LAN from PC to laptop, insert page numbering, and then transfer back
to my PC. The only difference is that I did not trial 2007 Beta on my laptop.
Herein may lie a clue to the problem on the PC.

"Building Blocks.dotx" is not present on my PC.

The routine you outline below, to check behind-the-scenes functionality,
returned a page number!

If you have any further ideas, I'd be most grateful.

Kind regards
Bill

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Bill,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Bill,

You haven't said what happens when you start in Safe Mode?

Check for "Building Blocks.dotx" in these locations

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Document Parts\1031

C:\Documents and Settings\[profile name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Document
Building Blocks\[language id]