Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stu-dent Stu-dent is offline

Default Word 2003 Catalog Merge

I can't find the instructions for performing a catalog merge in Word 2003.
The directory merge doesn't seem relevant for my purposes.

I need to populate a table in an existing document with the fields from an
access database. There are about 10 fields and about 100 records.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Stu-dent
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U3R1LWRlbnQ=?=,

I can't find the instructions for performing a catalog merge in Word 2003.
The directory merge doesn't seem relevant for my purposes.

I need to populate a table in an existing document with the fields from an
access database. There are about 10 fields and about 100 records.

A directory merge IS a catalog merge - just a different name. Thing is, mail
merge ALWAYS duplicates the entire content of the main merge document for
evry record.

Insert a 1-row, 10-column table into the main merge document. Insert one
field into each cell. Execute the merge to a new document, then copy/paste
the result into the existing document.

Although it might be just as simple to copy/paste from Access.

Or to use the Insert Database button on the Data toolbar. This is probably
what you're looking for.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stu-dent Stu-dent is offline

Hi Cindy M

Thankyou for your advice. I agree that Insert Database is probably the best.
It works for some tables and stored queries but not for all. The one I need
doesn't work.

The error messages that occur are as follows though not all occur at once:
Word was unable to open the data source.
Word could not replace the selection with the specified db.
Error Cannot Open Data source.
Word could not merge the main document with the data source because the data
records were empty or no data records matched your query options.

I don't understand why? No databases were open in Access. On testing, the
queries run when opened in Access. Any ideas at all?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks
Stu-dent.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?U3R1LWRlbnQ=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U3R1LWRlbnQ=?=,

Thankyou for your advice. I agree that Insert Database is probably the best.
It works for some tables and stored queries but not for all. The one I need
doesn't work.

The error messages that occur are as follows though not all occur at once:
Word was unable to open the data source.
Word could not replace the selection with the specified db.
Error Cannot Open Data source.
Word could not merge the main document with the data source because the data
records were empty or no data records matched your query options.

I don't understand why? No databases were open in Access. On testing, the
queries run when opened in Access. Any ideas at all?

What kind of query is it? Does it do anything other than SELECT records?
(aggregate functions? parameter input request? User-defined VBA functions?)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stu-dent Stu-dent is offline

Hi Cindy
Sorry for the delay in responding.
The query is not an action query. It is a SELECT query. There are about 9
tables with LEFT & RIGHT JOINS and conditions.

I made a test as follows. I converted this query and ran it as a make table
query. The insert data base wizard found this new table. But this is too far
from automation so I don't like it.

Any ideas?
Many thanks
Stu-dent

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?U3R1LWRlbnQ=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U3R1LWRlbnQ=?=,

The query is not an action query. It is a SELECT query. There are about 9
tables with LEFT & RIGHT JOINS and conditions.

I made a test as follows. I converted this query and ran it as a make table
query. The insert data base wizard found this new table. But this is too far
from automation so I don't like it.

How about if you create a new query that just brings in the "big, complex"
query. Insert the fields you're interested for the merge. Then link the merge
to this new, "wrapper" query. This often works for me.