Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl

Default Marking Index

I'm going nuts trying to mark an index for recipes. Let's say that the main
category is Chicken and that the entry under that is Chicken Pot Pie.

When I highlight the entry (Chicken Pot Pie) it goes directly into the Main
Entry box instead of the Subentry one.

I know it's the hard way, but the only thing that has worked so far is to
type in the main category entry each time (in exactly the same formatting,
capitalization, etc.) and then type the subentry in the box below it.

Why does Word assume that what I've highlighted is the main entry?!

There's just got to be a better way, and I'd appreciate your usual help.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

But are you talking about Chicken pie kind of pot pie or the Pennsylvania
Dutch kind of pot pie?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Island Girl" wrote in message
I'm going nuts trying to mark an index for recipes. Let's say that the
main
category is Chicken and that the entry under that is Chicken Pot Pie.

When I highlight the entry (Chicken Pot Pie) it goes directly into the
Main
Entry box instead of the Subentry one.

I know it's the hard way, but the only thing that has worked so far is to
type in the main category entry each time (in exactly the same formatting,
capitalization, etc.) and then type the subentry in the box below it.

Why does Word assume that what I've highlighted is the main entry?!

There's just got to be a better way, and I'd appreciate your usual help.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Whenever you index entry is *not* the text you select, you may find it
easier to insert the XE fields by hand. You can save a blank or partially
filled XE field as an AutoText entry or copy/paste it, then type in the rest
of the required information.

"Island Girl" wrote in message
I'm going nuts trying to mark an index for recipes. Let's say that the

main
category is Chicken and that the entry under that is Chicken Pot Pie.

When I highlight the entry (Chicken Pot Pie) it goes directly into the

Main
Entry box instead of the Subentry one.

I know it's the hard way, but the only thing that has worked so far is to
type in the main category entry each time (in exactly the same formatting,
capitalization, etc.) and then type the subentry in the box below it.

Why does Word assume that what I've highlighted is the main entry?!

There's just got to be a better way, and I'd appreciate your usual help.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Island Girl

For the sake of getting it into the index more efficiently, I'll call it
anything, but for now, it's just plain ol' Chicken pie kind of pot pie.

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Darn. I like chicken pie but PA Dutch chicken pot pie is much, much better.
Homemade bott boi noodles...............drool

--

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You're welcome.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Whenever you index entry is *not* the text you select, you may find it
easier to insert the XE fields by hand. You can save a blank or

partially
filled XE field as an AutoText entry or copy/paste it, then type in the

rest
of the required information.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.