Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ajw5850 ajw5850 is offline

Default Restart numbering at 3.5

I am working on a document with numbered lists. There are normal paragraph
numbered lists (Headings 1 thru 5) and numbered lists in a table (Headings 6
thru 9). The first table ends numbering at 5.4.5. I need to start numbering
for the next table at 3.5. I tried to do this by changing the style but that
went back and changed all the work I had already done. How do I start at 3.5
w/o changing my previous numbered list?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm. Depending on
the version of Word, you may find using the LISTNUM field for restarts to be
the easiest approach; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tByLISTNUM.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ajw5850" wrote in message
news
I am working on a document with numbered lists. There are normal paragraph
numbered lists (Headings 1 thru 5) and numbered lists in a table (Headings
6
thru 9). The first table ends numbering at 5.4.5. I need to start
numbering
for the next table at 3.5. I tried to do this by changing the style but
that
went back and changed all the work I had already done. How do I start at
3.5
w/o changing my previous numbered list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ajw5850 ajw5850 is offline

I checked out the page you suggested and it all seems way over my head. Is
there anyway to insert a chapter break or something like that that would
allow me to start a new numbered list without changing the previous lists in
the document?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm. Depending on
the version of Word, you may find using the LISTNUM field for restarts to be
the easiest approach; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tByLISTNUM.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ajw5850" wrote in message
news
I am working on a document with numbered lists. There are normal paragraph
numbered lists (Headings 1 thru 5) and numbered lists in a table (Headings
6
thru 9). The first table ends numbering at 5.4.5. I need to start
numbering
for the next table at 3.5. I tried to do this by changing the style but
that
went back and changed all the work I had already done. How do I start at
3.5
w/o changing my previous numbered list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Assuming that the number of restarts required is not huge, you can do this
relatively easy with LISTNUM fields:

5.4.5 This is the final paragraph in your first table. Make sure it ends
with two LISTNUM fields: {LISTNUM \l 1 \s 3 } { LISTNUM \l 2 \s 4 }.

3.5 This is the next Heading 2 paragraph.

To insert each pair of field delimiters, { }, press Ctrl+F9. Type the code
as shown. Press F9 to see the field result.

To duplicate a field, you can use copy and paste. To change the numbering
level of a field (if necessary), you can right-click it and choose Increase
Indent or Decrease Indent from the context menu.

To view or edit the field code directly, use Alt+F9.

Format the fields as white text to prevent them from printing (you can still
see the fields if you enable field shading in Word Options).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm. Depending
on
the version of Word, you may find using the LISTNUM field for restarts to
be
the easiest approach; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tByLISTNUM.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ajw5850" wrote in message
news
I am working on a document with numbered lists. There are normal
paragraph
numbered lists (Headings 1 thru 5) and numbered lists in a table
(Headings
6
thru 9). The first table ends numbering at 5.4.5. I need to start
numbering
for the next table at 3.5. I tried to do this by changing the style but
that
went back and changed all the work I had already done. How do I start
at
3.5
w/o changing my previous numbered list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ajw5850 ajw5850 is offline

It worked! Thank you for spelling it out for me!!!!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm. Depending
on
the version of Word, you may find using the LISTNUM field for restarts to
be
the easiest approach; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...tByLISTNUM.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"ajw5850" wrote in message
news I am working on a document with numbered lists. There are normal
paragraph
numbered lists (Headings 1 thru 5) and numbered lists in a table
(Headings
6
thru 9). The first table ends numbering at 5.4.5. I need to start
numbering
for the next table at 3.5. I tried to do this by changing the style but
that
went back and changed all the work I had already done. How do I start
at
3.5
w/o changing my previous numbered list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement