John Chief Justice Marshall

Default Footnotes & Frames & Hyperlinks (oh my...)

I've created a table of contents in a frame which allows me to hyperlink
throughout a research paper I am writing. Since I'm compiling a lot of
information from various cases I need to footnote each one. HOwever, when I
hyperlink to that section of my paper and insert the text, when I place a
footnote at the end the word document is opened in a new document rather than
merely leaving me in the word document open next to my table of contents.

Is there any way that I can put footnotes into a document opened in a frame
without having the docuyment opened in a new window?

Or better yet, is there anyway to create a table of contents that remains
visible at all times on the screen without my having to use frames, which
requires the use of two or more documents?

John Chief Justice Marshall

Suzanne:

Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't answer my question, but I think I may
have been too vague.

I would prefer not to use frames, but I cannot figure out how to keep the
table of contents showing consistently on one side of the screen, which
remains in place when I click a hyperlink in TOC to go to another point in
the main document. If this is not possible to do without frames, then I'm
trying to figure out how to keep a new window from opening when I make a
footnote entry in the main document.

Maybe this will clarify my question.

Daiya Mitchell

You can use the Document Map instead of a Table of Contents, if this is just
for you--or you could advise people to use it when you distribute the doc.

The doc map is a little buggy in that it depends on outline levels, which it
will sometimes apply for you in ways you don't want, but as long as you
don't have any one-line paragraphs that aren't headings, it should be fine.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

John Chief Justice Marshall

Thanks Daiya:

Unfortunately I am using some one-line paragraphs as I am merely in the
process of taking research notes at this point.

Daiya Mitchell

On 3/16/05 4:53 PM, "John Marshall Chief Justice" wrote:

Thanks Daiya:

Unfortunately I am using some one-line paragraphs as I am merely in the
process of taking research notes at this point.

Well, there are some workarounds for that, as well, that would let you use
the Doc Map with just a little extra trouble (although if that's the case,
you might want to investigate dedicated note-taking softwa MS does
OneNote but I think there are lots of third-party competitors. This whole
frames thing sounds like an elaborate exercise in procrastination?

On switching into the Doc Map, look to see if a new AutoFormat has been
added to the Undo list. That's the application of outline levels. Undo it.
Remember to check for this every time, though it may not happen every time
(this workaround has only been tested on a Mac, and not thoroughly).

After the fact fixes:

Use the ResetPara command on the affected paragraphs to remove all direct
paragraph formatting and reset the para to only style-based formatting (the
doc map adds outline levels as direct formatting). ResetPara will not
affect direct character formatting (bold, etc) and the usual keyboard
shortcut is control-q (cmd-opt-q on a Mac).

Run this handy macro once posted by MVP Klaus Linke that resets the outline
level of every paragraph to the outline level that is set in the style.

Dim myPara As Paragraph
For Each myPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
myPara.OutlineLevel = _
myPara.style.ParagraphFormat.OutlineLevel
Next myPara

If necessary, see:
What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me
out?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm
(Mac: http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/InstallMacroMac.htm)