Andy280575

Default Templates - Slow down over dial up

Hi

Excuse the non-tech speak in places.

Word 2000: We have a number of templates that are used for corporate
documents, these seem to work fine until you dial up from home. The document
you are opening from the server takes longer than it should and it appears to
be searching the network for template related things (styles? maybe).

My understanding is that unlike Excel (where everything from a template is
copied into the new spreadsheet), Word does not copy everything from the
custom/global template but needs to get that information during the course of
opening and using the document. Is this correct?

Can someone let me know what causes the extra work when dialing in, is the
above correct and is there a way round this?

Many thanks

Andy

Unless you have "Automatically update styles" checked in the Tools |
Templates and Add-ins dialog, Word doesn't really have any reference to the
template after the document is created--at least not for styles and
formatting. It would reference the template for macros, AutoText, etc. If
none of the latter are an issue, you can just as well attach Normal.dot
(making sure that automatic update is *not* enabled) and keep it from
looking.

"Andy280575" wrote in message
[...]

Andy280575

Thanks for the reply, I will check the settings of the user having issues.
The templates do contain macro's to update fields, would the macros only
cause a problem if the macro was 'played' while the document was open?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

If the template were attached to Normal.dot, the macros would be
unavailable, but if the template attached to the document is on a network,
it doesn't matter whether Word really needs it or not, it is going to search
for it when you open the document.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Unless you have "Automatically update styles" checked in the Tools |
Templates and Add-ins dialog, Word doesn't really have any reference to

the
template after the document is created--at least not for styles and
formatting. It would reference the template for macros, AutoText, etc.

If
none of the latter are an issue, you can just as well attach Normal.dot
(making sure that automatic update is *not* enabled) and keep it from
looking.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.