Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

Default Compatibility Issues-even with the patch

I am a student in a school that has strict limiting of privileges, and it's
not possible to install the new file format compatibility pack for office
2003. I use office 2007 beta at home, and although I know I can save my
files in compatibility mode for previous versions, the problem gets to be a
nuisance as I often forget to save it i the right format. Isn't there a
program for direct translation?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Steve is offline

I was just wondering about the same thing this morning because I don't want
to bring an important but unrecognizable word file to the office, so I dug
around.

You can change the default save option in Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (2007
Beta 2) to the 97-2003 format.

1. right-click on Quick Access Toolbar and select it.
2. go to Save (menu is located on the right side)
3. change "save files in this format" from Word Document (*.docx) to Word
97-2003 Document (*.doc)
4. do the same in Excel and Powerpoint

I don't use Access or Publisher, but presumably there is something similar?
As for Outlook, I don't think the compatibility issue matters.

"Mike" wrote:

I am a student in a school that has strict limiting of privileges, and it's
not possible to install the new file format compatibility pack for office
2003. I use office 2007 beta at home, and although I know I can save my
files in compatibility mode for previous versions, the problem gets to be a
nuisance as I often forget to save it i the right format. Isn't there a
program for direct translation?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

Hi Steve,

Not quite sure about your step 1&2...
Step 1 should read: Click the Office button menu (yes, that button is a
menu) and then select Word Options.
Step 2: go to the save tab (on the left of the options dialog).

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

:

"Mike" wrote:

I am a student in a school that has strict limiting of privileges, and it's
not possible to install the new file format compatibility pack for office
2003. I use office 2007 beta at home, and although I know I can save my
files in compatibility mode for previous versions, the problem gets to be a
nuisance as I often forget to save it i the right format. Isn't there a
program for direct translation?

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid Patrick Schmid is offline

I don't use Access or Publisher, but presumably there is something
similar?
As for Outlook, I don't think the compatibility issue matters.

Publisher didn't get a new file format. Access has something similar,
but it's on the Personalize tab of the options and called "Default File
format".

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Mike,

You can send comments, experiences, suggestions, etc on Office 2007 directly to the MS product team using the feedback tool from the
link below. They are very interested in hearing about the usability of the compatability process.

Could you clarify your suggestion for a separate translation program? I'm not clear how, for your scenario a separate program to
convert from Office 2007 formats to Office 2003 formats would be helpful to you. You mentioned the combination of not being able
to have other programs on the school computer and not remembering a step on the originating computer.

The compatability patch only works on pre-2007 editions of Office.

=============
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS to the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system info,
online Test Drive, or downloadable beta is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Mike is offline

I would think that when the 2007 edition of Office comes out, some students
(or their families) will get it before the schools do. If there is no
allowed installation of 2007 compatibility patches in that school, students
who don't know how to save in a different format probably won't think of
telling the administrators to patch the edition being used.

Before the school budget can afford 2007 (or before the edition comes out
at all), they will be open to unreadable files typed by students. When
printing is not an option, Students may bring in an unreadable format on a
floppy or usb drive and find themselves explaing to the teacher that they
need to bring it in the next day. Many teachers will not accept this as an
excuse and so will not give them full credit for their assignment.

But while the schools do not patch for the edition, there should at least
be a separate, free tool they can have in handy to translate the work that
students and others do.

Of course, I am referring to just one of the many annoying situations that
may occur from compatibility issues. I would imagine there would be many
more.