Visionary Soup

Default How do I set mail merge field to not appear if blank?

The reason I ask is in Word 2000 it automatically brings the data up when the
field is blank. I am sure there must be a way of setting this in Word 2003
but I cannot find it anywhere. I don't want to have to put in IF ASK etc
everytime I merge?

Thanks!

Amber
Anne Troy

Hi, Amber. This occurs when we use the "address block". Don't use it.
Instead, use the individual fields. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/i...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Visionary Soup" wrote in message
The reason I ask is in Word 2000 it automatically brings the data up when
the
field is blank. I am sure there must be a way of setting this in Word
2003
but I cannot find it anywhere. I don't want to have to put in IF ASK etc
everytime I merge?

Thanks!

Amber

Visionary Soup

The person I am helping isn't actually using the address block. They are
inserting each field separately and then pressing the merge button to see
what it looks like before merging to a file. I checked the Hidden text
button and it isn't checked. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

"Visionary Soup" wrote:

Thank you! I will give it a try...

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Hi, Amber. This occurs when we use the "address block". Don't use it.
Instead, use the individual fields. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/i...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Visionary Soup" wrote in message
The reason I ask is in Word 2000 it automatically brings the data up when
the
field is blank. I am sure there must be a way of setting this in Word
2003
but I cannot find it anywhere. I don't want to have to put in IF ASK etc
everytime I merge?

Thanks!

Amber

Doug Robbins

From the Tools menu, select Customise and then go to the Commands tab and
select the All Commands category and then scroll down through the list of
commands until you find the Mail Merge Helper item. Left click on it and
drag it onto a toolbar. Then you will be able to mailmerge as you did in
Word 2000

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Visionary Soup" wrote in message
The person I am helping isn't actually using the address block. They are
inserting each field separately and then pressing the merge button to see
what it looks like before merging to a file. I checked the Hidden text
button and it isn't checked. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

"Visionary Soup" wrote:

Thank you! I will give it a try...

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Hi, Amber. This occurs when we use the "address block". Don't use it.
Instead, use the individual fields. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/i...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Visionary Soup" wrote in
message
The reason I ask is in Word 2000 it automatically brings the data up
when
the
field is blank. I am sure there must be a way of setting this in
Word
2003
but I cannot find it anywhere. I don't want to have to put in IF ASK
etc
everytime I merge?

Thanks!

Amber

Visionary Soup

Thanks very much Doug, I will do that right now!

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

From the Tools menu, select Customise and then go to the Commands tab and
select the All Commands category and then scroll down through the list of
commands until you find the Mail Merge Helper item. Left click on it and
drag it onto a toolbar. Then you will be able to mailmerge as you did in
Word 2000

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Visionary Soup" wrote in message
The person I am helping isn't actually using the address block. They are
inserting each field separately and then pressing the merge button to see
what it looks like before merging to a file. I checked the Hidden text
button and it isn't checked. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

"Visionary Soup" wrote:

Thank you! I will give it a try...

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Hi, Amber. This occurs when we use the "address block". Don't use it.
Instead, use the individual fields. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/i...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Visionary Soup" wrote in
message
The reason I ask is in Word 2000 it automatically brings the data up
when
the
field is blank. I am sure there must be a way of setting this in
Word
2003
but I cannot find it anywhere. I don't want to have to put in IF ASK
etc
everytime I merge?

Thanks!

Amber

longhill ld

This is a really useful tip and I have tried it and it works well. However,
all of a sudden it has disappeared from the toolbar and the Mailmerge Helper
is no longer in the customise options. I am working on a network using SP2 -
it may be that an upgrade has been done but I still can't work out why the
option has disappeared and I can't redo it.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

From the Tools menu, select Customise and then go to the Commands tab and
select the All Commands category and then scroll down through the list of
commands until you find the Mail Merge Helper item. Left click on it and
drag it onto a toolbar. Then you will be able to mailmerge as you did in
Word 2000

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Visionary Soup" wrote in message
The person I am helping isn't actually using the address block. They are
inserting each field separately and then pressing the merge button to see
what it looks like before merging to a file. I checked the Hidden text
button and it isn't checked. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

"Visionary Soup" wrote:

Thank you! I will give it a try...

"Anne Troy" wrote:

Hi, Amber. This occurs when we use the "address block". Don't use it.
Instead, use the individual fields. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/i...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Visionary Soup" wrote in
message
The reason I ask is in Word 2000 it automatically brings the data up
when
the
field is blank. I am sure there must be a way of setting this in
Word
2003
but I cannot find it anywhere. I don't want to have to put in IF ASK
etc
everytime I merge?

Thanks!

Amber

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I think that you will find that it is still there. Just a matter of looking
a bit more carefully.

--

"longhill ld" longhill wrote in message
This is a really useful tip and I have tried it and it works well.
However,
all of a sudden it has disappeared from the toolbar and the Mailmerge
Helper
is no longer in the customise options. I am working on a network using
SP2 -
it may be that an upgrade has been done but I still can't work out why the
option has disappeared and I can't redo it.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

From the Tools menu, select Customise and then go to the Commands tab and
select the All Commands category and then scroll down through the list of
commands until you find the Mail Merge Helper item. Left click on it and
drag it onto a toolbar. Then you will be able to mailmerge as you did in
Word 2000

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Visionary Soup" wrote in
message
The person I am helping isn't actually using the address block. They
are
inserting each field separately and then pressing the merge button to
see
what it looks like before merging to a file. I checked the Hidden text
button and it isn't checked. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

"Visionary Soup" wrote:

Thank you! I will give it a try...