Joe

Default Corrupt normal.dot and problems with spell checking

Hello everyone

I have a co-worker using Word 2000 SP2 on a Windows 2000 machine.

When he attempts to spell check a document, it comes up and states that a
spell check is complete, it will not find errors that are deliberately made.
On top of this under the Tools/Options the Language options is always saying
not to check spelling or grammar. Even after one deselects the do not check
option.

I suspect something to do with a normal.dot problem. I found the normal.dot
file and deleted it and it appears that documents created now will check
spelling. But if we cut and paste an older document, then the pasted portion
will not be spell checked.

The problem is that he has some big older documents that he has to spell
check....any ideas?

TIA

Joe

Herb Tyson [MVP]

When deselcting the Do Not Check... options, are you selecting all of the
text in the document, first? The Do Not Check... options, as are all
Language options, is a font/character level formatting setting. Hence, it
applies only to whatever text is selected. If you select that option and
start typing, then it will apply to what you type, just as clicking Bold or
Italic will apply only to what you type.

Does this help?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Joe" wrote in message
Hello everyone

I have a co-worker using Word 2000 SP2 on a Windows 2000 machine.

When he attempts to spell check a document, it comes up and states that a
spell check is complete, it will not find errors that are deliberately
made. On top of this under the Tools/Options the Language options is
always saying not to check spelling or grammar. Even after one deselects
the do not check option.

I suspect something to do with a normal.dot problem. I found the
normal.dot file and deleted it and it appears that documents created now
will check spelling. But if we cut and paste an older document, then the
pasted portion will not be spell checked.

The problem is that he has some big older documents that he has to spell
check....any ideas?

TIA

Joe

Joe

Herb

Thanks for your advice, I tried it with a document that he emailed to me.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I CTRL-A selected all the text in the
document, and then deselected the Do Not Check option. I saved the document
but it still doesn't check the spelling and when I recheck the "Do not
check..." option, it has been reselected.....mysteriously.
Joe

"Joe" wrote in message
Hello everyone

I have a co-worker using Word 2000 SP2 on a Windows 2000 machine.

When he attempts to spell check a document, it comes up and states that a
spell check is complete, it will not find errors that are deliberately
made. On top of this under the Tools/Options the Language options is
always saying not to check spelling or grammar. Even after one deselects
the do not check option.

I suspect something to do with a normal.dot problem. I found the
normal.dot file and deleted it and it appears that documents created now
will check spelling. But if we cut and paste an older document, then the
pasted portion will not be spell checked.

The problem is that he has some big older documents that he has to spell
check....any ideas?

TIA

Joe

Anne Troy

Joe: See if the info here helps (some of it repeats Herb's advice):
http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Joe" wrote in message
Hello everyone

I have a co-worker using Word 2000 SP2 on a Windows 2000 machine.

When he attempts to spell check a document, it comes up and states that
a spell check is complete, it will not find errors that are deliberately
made. On top of this under the Tools/Options the Language options is
always saying not to check spelling or grammar. Even after one deselects
the do not check option.

I suspect something to do with a normal.dot problem. I found the
normal.dot file and deleted it and it appears that documents created now
will check spelling. But if we cut and paste an older document, then the
pasted portion will not be spell checked.

The problem is that he has some big older documents that he has to spell
check....any ideas?

TIA

Joe

Herb Tyson [MVP]

If, after clicking Recheck Document, it still doesn't work... another thing
to try is to press Ctrl+A and ensure that a supported language (such as
English US) is selected.

If that still doesn't "stick", then try starting Word in Safe mode (hold
down Ctrl as you start Word, keeping it pressed until Word starts; then say
Yes to the Safe Mode prompt).

If it works in Safe mode, then I would suspect some kind of settings
corruption at work. We can cross that bridge if necessary.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Joe" wrote in message
Hello everyone

I have a co-worker using Word 2000 SP2 on a Windows 2000 machine.

When he attempts to spell check a document, it comes up and states that
a spell check is complete, it will not find errors that are
deliberately made. On top of this under the Tools/Options the Language
options is always saying not to check spelling or grammar. Even after
one deselects the do not check option.

I suspect something to do with a normal.dot problem. I found the
normal.dot file and deleted it and it appears that documents created
now will check spelling. But if we cut and paste an older document,
then the pasted portion will not be spell checked.

The problem is that he has some big older documents that he has to
spell check....any ideas?

TIA

Joe

Since you mention "older documents," there's one other setting you might
want to check. On the Spelling & Grammar tab of Tools | Options, make sure
that "Hide spelling errors in this document" is not checked. That is the
default setting for Word 95 and earlier documents opened in later versions.