Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Default Word 2003-Page Orientation

I have a long Word 2003 document with all pages in portrait orientation
except one. That page contains a table the size of which requires landscape
orientation. I have always done this by inserting section breaks before and
after this page. But now for some reason I can't get the orientation to
change either on-screen or in my printer. When I check the page orientation
in that page (section) it is set to landscape. Suspecting typical Word
corruption (this document was made from previous versons of the same stuff)
I did the usual copy-and-paste all but the last few empty paragraphs. Gt eh
same problem in the new document. Any suggestions? In the alternative,
maybe I should revise this particular page and rotate the table 45 degrees.
That way the orientation can be the same as the rest of the document and
maybe I'd need one less section break. Is there a way to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you view the page in Print Layout view or Print Preview, does it appear
to be landscape? If you inserted the table *before* setting the page
orientation, it will have been inserted at portrait margin width, and the
table width will not change when you change the orientation unless you have
the preferred table width set to 100%.

http://word.mvps.org

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

In Print Layout or Print Preview it appears to be portrait. It also prints
that way, with the table continuing past the right edge of the paper. The
formatting appears to be in this order after 38 pages of portrait
orientation:
*Section Break (next page)
*Page Setup (this section only): orie ntation-landscape (this is at the top
of the mis-oriented page)
*Beginnning of table

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire Joe McGuire is offline

Thanks! Interesting. They are"reversed"--I put thatin quotes because the
paper is actually 8.5 in wide and 11 in high, as it goes into the printer.
But I noticed that the paper size somehow changed from "letter" in the
prievious section to "custom" here. Restoring it to "letter" fixed the
problem . Now to find out how that happened.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right. But for landscape, the page (as viewed) is 11" wide and 8.5" high. It
is mysterious how these settings could have gotten changed, however, if all
you did was change the Margins tab setting from Portrait to Landscape.