Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hank Roberts Hank Roberts is offline

Default Odd character sp mystified my tech support

Word 2003 (SP2) running under XP

Since my office switched to this setup, Word docs --- both some from
2005 that I created under Word 2000, before we got XP, and hadn't
looked at since, and some new documents created by other people on our
system, show up with an odd character.

It's apparently on my PC somehow -- I see it and it prints, but others
using the same document on other computer don't see it and it doesn't
print.

It looks like sp
It's a single thing, hilights as a unit.
It can't be deleted by hilighting and hitting delete or backspace
It can be copied and pasted
It shows up somehow attached to images in headers
It shows up sporadically in the middle of runs of carriage returns
used by, well, users, to format pages
It shows up once in a while along with the last paragraph mark in a
document

If it's in the middle of a run of carriage returns and I select
several on either side of the weird sp thing, it will cut out.

If it's attached to an image, it can't be cut without losing the
image.

Tech support has been puzzling over it for weeks now.

Looks to me like it's some bit of Microsoft's Word 2007 file format
that snuck in somewhere.

Just a minor annoyance, but I figured I couldn't be the only person
favored with it.

-- Hank Roberts
-- formerly , long long ago
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hank Roberts Hank Roberts is offline

Oops, my bad. I didn't figure out a way to search for a literal sp
but I just plowed through the first bunch of results for sp and
found several threads about this that we'd, er, somehow missed knowing
about.

I'll go read up. I see it's happened before.

(IS there a way to force the search to take the angle brackets and
only find the threads discussing sp here?)

-- Hank Roberts
-- formerly , long long ago

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Nov 21, 5:17 pm, Hank Roberts wrote:
Oops, my bad. I didn't figure out a way to search for a literal sp
but I just plowed through the first bunch of results for sp and
found several threads

This one has a workaround, though nobody has an answer about _why_ the
thing shows up, near as I can tell:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...3eeb f3668f97
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Hank Roberts Hank Roberts is offline

Just checking -- has _anyone_ a clue about where this sp comes from?

My tech support guy just told me, they're still mystified where I
work.
I haven't found anything else on it anywhere, just the several threads
here mentioning it including mine.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Do you want to know what it means or what?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Hank Roberts" wrote in message
Just checking -- has _anyone_ a clue about where this sp comes from?

My tech support guy just told me, they're still mystified where I
work.
I haven't found anything else on it anywhere, just the several threads
here mentioning it including mine.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

sp is space.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JoAnn Paules" wrote:

Do you want to know what it means or what?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Hank Roberts" wrote in message
Just checking -- has _anyone_ a clue about where this sp comes from?

My tech support guy just told me, they're still mystified where I
work.
I haven't found anything else on it anywhere, just the several threads
here mentioning it including mine.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

This is an issue I have seen reported a couple of times. The sp appears to
be a backspace character (ascii 8) that has somehow got fixed in the
document. IIRC it is awkward but not impossible to delete.

I have never managed to reproduce the problem myself. If you can
consistently do so, I would be very interested to know how.

--
Enjoy,
Tony