Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Arkansas 275 Arkansas 275 is offline

Default HOW DO I OPEN FILES CREATED WITH AN EARLIER VERSION OF OFFICE

I am running Office 2003 Pro on a HP XDX 18 computer with 4 MB Ram. The
operating system is VISTA Ultimate. When I attempt to open documents (Word,
Excel, PowerPoint) created with an earlier version of Office Pro I get the
following message:

The error message says the following:
You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of
Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening in this version by
your registry policy setting.

The same thing happened on a different computer operating under XP Pro, but
the fix provided in "Microsoft Article ID: 922849 - Last Review: April 3,
2008 - Revision: 9.1" corrected the problem.

Vista does not have either of the following registry keys to modify
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Security\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\11.0\Word\Security\

Can someone please help me make the modifications to the Vista Ultimate
Registry that will allow me to open files created with a version of Office
Pro earlier than version 2003?

Thanks for your help.
--
Dick
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KC[_2_] KC[_2_] is offline

You receive an error message when you try to open a file type that was
blocked by your registry policy settings in Word 2007 or in Word 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=922849

if you don't feel like making manual changes to registry, then try to
download this reg file and double click it to apply it to registry
there is a .reg file available at
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...nblockWord.reg

hope this helps?
-kc
*click YES if this helps

"Arkansas 275" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See €śInformation about certain file types that are blocked after you install
Office 2003 Service Pack 3€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938810.
Choose Method 1.

http://word.mvps.org