Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Naomi Naomi is offline

Default Renumber footnotes

I created a Word 2007 document by copying and pasting several smaller Word
2003 documents into one large document. Each of the smaller documents had
several footnotes in it. When I combined all the documents together, the
footnote numbers in the large document are discontinuous. I accepted all
changes, deleted and recreated various footnotes, but nothing worked. Any
advice how to renumer all the footnotes in the new document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] Pesach Shelnitz[_2_] is offline

Hi Naomi,

It seems to me that you copied section breaks into your new document. It
this is the case, the footnote numbering that you are seeing is a result of
the fact that the footnote numbering in each section is independent of the
footnote numbering in the other sections. You can solve this problem by
removing all the section breaks or by resetting the footnote number in each
section. If you want to use the latter approach, perform the following steps:
1) Place the cursor in the first footnote that has the wrong number.
2) On the Reference tab, in the Footnotes group, click the dialog box
launcher (the small diagonal arrow in the lower right-hand corner of the
Footnotes group).
3) In the Footnotes dialog box, in Start at, type the number that you want
the footnote at the cursor to have.
4) Click Apply.
5) Repeat these steps for the next footnote that has the wrong number.

--
Hope this helps,
Pesach Shelnitz

"Naomi" wrote:

I created a Word 2007 document by copying and pasting several smaller Word
2003 documents into one large document. Each of the smaller documents had
several footnotes in it. When I combined all the documents together, the
footnote numbers in the large document are discontinuous. I accepted all
changes, deleted and recreated various footnotes, but nothing worked. Any
advice how to renumer all the footnotes in the new document?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Or you could just select "Continuous" and "Apply to: Whole document" in the
Footnote and Endnote dialog.

http://word.mvps.org