Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Godiva Chocolatier Godiva Chocolatier is offline

Default Header problems w/ multi chapter document

I am currently working on a multi chapter document created by someone else.
The problem is that I don't want a header on the first 2 pages, and want the
the header on the rest of the document except for 1 section in the middle of
the document.

I observed that pages 3-7 have "First Page Header - Section #" in the top
left corner above the header of the document, while pages 1, 2 and the rest
of the 80 page document just has "Header - Section #" in the top left corner
above the header of the document. If I add the header to page 8 so that it
will appear on the rest of the document it also appears on pages 1 & 2.

How do I fix this problem? Again, I don't want a header on the first 2
pages, and want the the header on the rest of the document except for 1
section in the middle of the document. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

You didn't state your word version.

Word allows a section to have different settings for header/footer
combinations.
1) different first page
2) differnet odd & even pages

For Word 2003 and below, file menu, page setup, Layout tab select your
header/footer combinations.

If a document has 3 sections then there can be total of nine different h/f
combos.

For a document with two sections, select view menu, header & footer. At the
top of the h/f frame you will/may see First Page Header - section ##, Same as
previous.
If you want section 2 to have a different h/f than section 1, then you must
clear the link to previous option found on the headerfooter toolbar. The
setting must be cleared for both the header and for the footer.

The h/f settings are unique to the section breaks. If you delete a section
break then your headers /footers will change in seemingly random fashion. One
of the MVPS has a complete description of header/footer options on their
webpages.

--
Tom Conrad