Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
klam klam is offline

Default Footnote in Textbox?

I have 1x1 tables with text in them. I wanted to have gradient shading so I
am changing them to textboxes. When I pasted the text of one table into a
textbox, the footnote changed to "1" (should be #66), and the footnote text
doesn't show at the bottom of the page.

I tried to see the footnote so I checked the View Footnotes and in Normal
View the textboxes don't show.

How can the footnotes in the textboxes be "recognized" or is there a
workaround for what I'd like to achieve?

Working in Word 2003 on standalone XP. Thx for any suggestions.

cheers,
karen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Unfortunately, Word text boxes can't contain footnotes. The best you can do
is insert the footnote elsewhere in the document, and then insert a
cross-reference to the footnote number in the text box.

Be sure to format the actual footnote as hidden text, so that it won't
print; the cross-reference will still display correctly.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"klam" wrote in message
I have 1x1 tables with text in them. I wanted to have gradient shading so I
am changing them to textboxes. When I pasted the text of one table into a
textbox, the footnote changed to "1" (should be #66), and the footnote
text
doesn't show at the bottom of the page.

I tried to see the footnote so I checked the View Footnotes and in Normal
View the textboxes don't show.

How can the footnotes in the textboxes be "recognized" or is there a
workaround for what I'd like to achieve?

Working in Word 2003 on standalone XP. Thx for any suggestions.

cheers,
karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
klam klam is offline

Thx a mint for your reply & suggestion, Stefan.

Good to know it can't be done - I went around with this and that for quite
bit.

Sorry if I'm confused on this..."Be sure to format the actual footnote as
hidden text": this is so the footnote number shows in the cross-reference but
not the footnote text, correct?

Then where does the actual footnote get printed? I.e., it should be on the
bottom of the page so the reader can reference it. What am I missing?

thx,
karen

"klam" wrote in message
I have 1x1 tables with text in them. I wanted to have gradient shading so I
am changing them to textboxes. When I pasted the text of one table into a
textbox, the footnote changed to "1" (should be #66), and the footnote
text
doesn't show at the bottom of the page.

I tried to see the footnote so I checked the View Footnotes and in Normal
View the textboxes don't show.

How can the footnotes in the textboxes be "recognized" or is there a
workaround for what I'd like to achieve?

Working in Word 2003 on standalone XP. Thx for any suggestions.

cheers,
karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Stefan meant that the actual footnote reference (in the body of the
document) should be formatted as Hidden so that the cross-reference (the one
in the text box) is the only one visible. The footnote itself will be at the
bottom of the page. For a description of use of this technique for a
different reason (columns), see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...panColumns.htm

"klam" wrote in message
I have 1x1 tables with text in them. I wanted to have gradient shading
so I
am changing them to textboxes. When I pasted the text of one table into
textbox, the footnote changed to "1" (should be #66), and the footnote
text
doesn't show at the bottom of the page.

I tried to see the footnote so I checked the View Footnotes and in
Normal
View the textboxes don't show.

How can the footnotes in the textboxes be "recognized" or is there a
workaround for what I'd like to achieve?

Working in Word 2003 on standalone XP. Thx for any suggestions.

cheers,
karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Indeed, that was exactly what I was referring to: not the footnote text but
the footnote reference. Suzanne, thank you for clarifying this!

Karen, I apologize for the confusion.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"klam" wrote in message
I have 1x1 tables with text in them. I wanted to have gradient shading
so I
am changing them to textboxes. When I pasted the text of one table
into a
textbox, the footnote changed to "1" (should be #66), and the footnote
text
doesn't show at the bottom of the page.

I tried to see the footnote so I checked the View Footnotes and in
Normal
View the textboxes don't show.

How can the footnotes in the textboxes be "recognized" or is there a
workaround for what I'd like to achieve?

Working in Word 2003 on standalone XP. Thx for any suggestions.

cheers,
karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
klam klam is offline

Thx a mint for the clarification and link, Suzanne. The link really helped me
understand it more.

cheers,
karen

"klam" wrote in message
I have 1x1 tables with text in them. I wanted to have gradient shading
so I
am changing them to textboxes. When I pasted the text of one table into
textbox, the footnote changed to "1" (should be #66), and the footnote
text
doesn't show at the bottom of the page.

I tried to see the footnote so I checked the View Footnotes and in
Normal
View the textboxes don't show.

How can the footnotes in the textboxes be "recognized" or is there a
workaround for what I'd like to achieve?

Working in Word 2003 on standalone XP. Thx for any suggestions.

cheers,
karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
klam klam is offline

Stefan, thx a mint for such an amazing solution! Wow, I would have never been
able to figure out the workaround. Much appreciated.

cheers,
karen

"klam" wrote in message
I have 1x1 tables with text in them. I wanted to have gradient shading
so I
am changing them to textboxes. When I pasted the text of one table
into a
textbox, the footnote changed to "1" (should be #66), and the footnote
text
doesn't show at the bottom of the page.

I tried to see the footnote so I checked the View Footnotes and in
Normal
View the textboxes don't show.

How can the footnotes in the textboxes be "recognized" or is there a
workaround for what I'd like to achieve?

Working in Word 2003 on standalone XP. Thx for any suggestions.

cheers,
karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline