Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rhonda Rhonda is offline

Default How do I Insert Special Text Inside a Merge Field?

I have a document set up with merge fields. In 1 spacific merge field I want
text to be inserted only if that field is applied. Note: The field is only
applied to certain documents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rhonda Rhonda is offline

I've tired using the "If then else" field but that doesn't work because
diffent names appear each time. What I'm doing is an invoice. All invoices
have a name and address..some invoices will be for a gift subscription and
will need to have the person's name on there that the gift is for. I have
added the field which is called Gift Name. What I need to do is add text to
only appear when that field appears. Everything I've tried so far puts the
text on every invoice or it leaves it off all together. Got any ideas?

"rhonda" wrote in message
I have a document set up with merge fields. In 1 spacific merge field I
want
text to be inserted only if that field is applied. Note: The field is only
applied to certain documents.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to approach it the other way round. You use the IF field to test
for a blank. If Gift Name is blank, you insert nothing; if it is not blank,
you insert Gift Name. Something like this:

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Gift_Name } = "" "" "{ MERGEFIELD Gift_Name }" }

If the Gift Name needs to be on a separate line, include the line or
paragraph break in the FalseText rather than outside the IF field, and then
you won't get a blank line if Gift Name is blank.