Martin Stender

Default 100% width tables and section

Hi all!

I have major problems getting sections to play nice, when there is a
table with 100% width in the footer.

Try this:
1: make a new doc
2: in the footer-area, make a new tabel, 100% width with 2 columns
where the rightmost column in our case is right-justified.
2: insert section
3: on the new section, set 'page setup' to landscape, and uncheck
different 1st page if neccesary.

Now, that ought to do it, but here (using Word '02) the footer-table
expands as expected to match the landscape format on the new section,
but the new table width is also reflected to page 1, which is still
portrait! So the footer-table on page 1 is now too wide for the page...

I know I can just go through the whole 'not-same-as-previous' exercise
in regard to the headers/footers, but this template will be used by
quite a lot of people, and they also need to be able to insert new
sections by them selves, so that would be somewhat of a time-thief if
every user had to do that.

Any idea how to get around this, while still using the same
headers/footers throughout the document?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Shauna Kelly

Hi Martin

There is no easy solution to this.

Word appears to take its width rule from the orientation of the last section
in the document. So if you happen to have a document that is portrait -
landscape - portrait, you get portrait-sized tables. And if your document
happens to be portrait - landscape, you get landscape-sized tables.

The best technical solution (though not necessarily the best organizational
or aesthetic solution) is to redesign the footer so you use a fixed-width
table. If there is so much information to be placed in the table that it
looks ugly, consider a "different odd and even pages" design.

If you really really need the table, then the only way to make it easy for
users is, at a minimum, create two AutoTexts, one for the landscape and one
for the portrait tables. Better, but harder, is to create a macro or two
that will insert a new landscape (or portrait) section and insert the
appropriate footer.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Martin Stender" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Martin Stender

Thank you Shauna

I just needed confirmation, that it isn't possible to automate this
without writing a macro.

Thanks :-)
Martin