Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aboeing aboeing is offline

Default Word 2007: How to copy and paste an image in two coloum document

Hi,

A problem I have been having is pasting/inserting images at a particular
location in my document. This problem is especially prevalent in multi-coloum
documents.

Typically, when I paste or insert an image it will appear in a completely
random location in the document, often many pages away from where I wanted it.

Is there a way to force the image to appear in a location that I can specify?

(If I recall correctly, there used to be a way to do this by creating some
kind of invisible frame object, which would then contain an image, table, or
text...)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi aboeing

aboeing wrote:
A problem I have been having is pasting/inserting images at a particular
location in my document. This problem is especially prevalent in multi-coloum
documents.

depends on how you want to handle the pictu if you can live with an
inline picture (no fancy run-text-around-picture options available
there), then it's pretty simple.

Typically, when I paste or insert an image it will appear in a completely
random location in the document, often many pages away from where I wanted it.

That's hard to fathom, unless your view is set to something like 25-% so
you see a couple of pages together at the time of insertion.

Is there a way to force the image to appear in a location that I can specify?

(If I recall correctly, there used to be a way to do this by creating some
kind of invisible frame object, which would then contain an image, table, or
text...)

If you need Shapes (i.e., floating images, say, in the middle of a
two-column layout with text running around), then yes: you can in fact
create a textbox or frame, and insertion might indeed be a bit easier.
OTOH, it's kind of unnecessary to use any of these, because a picture
can itself be set to be a shape (so a textbox or frame only complicates
matters, in general). [Frames might be part of a paragraph style
definition, so if you want a picture always at the same position, say,
horizontally relative to the page margins, it's still a good tool.]

I can't seem to find more problems inserting pictures in 2007 than in
earlier versions. In Office button | Word options | Advanced | Cut, copy
and paste, you can define in what way a picture is inserted as per
default. Set your preferred state there, and tell us if it helps.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |