Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] s9306366@gmail.com is offline

Default updating main document after change of linked document

Hi All,

I have some questions about linking documents, and propagating changes
from linked sub-documents to the higher-level documents

My question concerns the following:
I have many different but similar customer-specific documents
containing general/default specifications. At the moment, more than 50
documents are 'active', with more to follow.

I know this can be done by having a sub-document linked, and when the
sub-document changes, so do all higher-level documents. I have tested
this with simple documents and it is working for me in basic examples.

However, sometimes I don't want to keep all the specifications from
the general document in the higher-level document. For example, the
sub-documents will contain tables or command descriptions, and not all
rows in each table, or the values for certain parameters, or commands
themselves are applicable to a specifict top-level document.
After importing/linking I can delete fields and such, but after the
next update, all fields are back to the linked version, as you would
expect.

The real issue for me is that I want to use the 'overall/main' feature
of the updating, but want to be selective about it.

Is there any way to do this?

Also, related (I think), is there a way to generate this type of
document from a mail-merge type of construction? Most of my documents
will be much the same and I am planning to set up a database will all
relevant parameters for each customer-specific document, then I would
like to automatically generate the whole base version of the document
from a mail merge in Word or from the database by selecting the
desired record containing the information.

My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask. I did perform a
(quick) search, but could not find what I am after, as I could not
think of a way to put my question in a few keywords.

Thanks you.

Jeroen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is this a master document, or are you using INCLUDETEXT fields? The latter
would be safer; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm as well as
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfm...ldscontent.htm.

Note that, for further assistance with the mail merge approach, you may want
to ask in a programming newsgroup, such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] s9306366@gmail.com is offline

I am not using a master document, as I already found the
"...WhyMasterDocsCorrupt" reference earlier.
I am using the "Insert -- File... -- Insert as Link" option, which
probably results in an INCLUDETEXT field.

I just had a quick look at your "...includetextfieldscontent"
reference, and that looks exactly like the information I need. I had
not found any need/use for bookmarks before, but this seems to be the
'golden tip'.

Thank you very much for taking the time to point me in the right
direction and helping me out.

Best regards,

Jeroen

would be safer; seehttp://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htmas well ashttp://word.mvps.org/faqs/tblsfldsfms/includetextfieldscontent.htm.

[...]