Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
eht_remmir

Default Captions under pictures

I have a document that will have about 20 pictures. I'd like to use the
caption method for each picture with automatic numbering. I've tried it
over and over and it is certainly user unfriendly, in fact does not work.

I want each one to look like this "Figure 1. Text" If I enter this as
a "new label" it shows in bold as "Figure 1. Text 1 1" Why that extra
1? Even though the auto number is enabled it just puts a 2 at the end.
This certainly can't be how it is supposed to work.

Any ideas how to do this? Right now I'm simply tying the caption in
myself.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Eht_remmir,

I have a document that will have about 20 pictures. I'd like to use the
caption method for each picture with automatic numbering. I've tried it
over and over and it is certainly user unfriendly, in fact does not work.

I want each one to look like this "Figure 1. Text" If I enter this as
a "new label" it shows in bold as "Figure 1. Text 1 1" Why that extra
1? Even though the auto number is enabled it just puts a 2 at the end.
This certainly can't be how it is supposed to work.

Hmmm. You create a new label and literally type: Figure 1. Text

What about creating a new label that contains just: Figure

The label will show everything you type into it...

If I've misunderstood your problem description, could you please rephrase?
And tell us which version of Word you're using? Further thoughts:

Is it possible you've already defined a label with the same "name" - Figure
1. Text - so Word is putting the 1 in there to differentiate from the
existing label?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I think there is a misunderstanding about how the Caption feature works. In
the Insert | Reference | Caption dialog, you can select "Figure" as the type
of label; in fact, it's selected by default, so that when you first open the
dialog, it displays "Figure 1." You type any desired punctuation (in your
case, a period) after this, then the desired text. The next time you insert
a caption, you'll be presented with "Figure 2," and you type your desired
caption.

When you click on New Label, you are defining a new *type* or category of
caption. You can't use "Figure" because it's already a built-in label type.
But you don't need to define a new label for figures; you just select the
built-in one. If you wanted captions that said, for example, "Photo 1.
Description of the photo," then you could create a "Photo" label and select
it as needed. (One caveat he the label definitions are stored in the
Registry of your machine, so they will not be available to other users if
you share the document.)

That said, the number used for any caption is just a SEQ field. If you're
getting excess numbers, try pressing Alt+F9 to display the underlying field
codes. You can safely delete any extraneous codes.