GMLutz

Default Select Tables questions

I use Word 2000.

I need to be able to select all of the text inside a table -- not the
table itself, but just the text inside it. Clicking on the square at
the upper left of the table selects the table, not just the text.

How do I select just the text?

Thanks for the help.

George Lutz

JBNewsGroup

Hi GMLutz,

One way to do it is as follows:

1. Put the cursor in the table
2. Table | Convert | Table to Text
3. In the resulting drop down dialog box click the Tabs option and then OK
4. Edit | Copy
5. Table | Convert |Text to Table
6. Click OK
7. Edit | Paste wherever you want the table data

If you do not care about preserving the table then steps 4 to 7 may be
omitted.
The resulting data would look like the table layout except that it is not a
table anymore. If in step 3 you selected "Paragraph marks" then the text in
each table cell would be on a separate line.

There is probably a better way to do this and some else may have the better
solution.

Jerry Bodoff

"GMLutz" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use Word 2000.

I need to be able to select all of the text inside a table -- not the
table itself, but just the text inside it. Clicking on the square at
the upper left of the table selects the table, not just the text.

How do I select just the text?

Thanks for the help.

George Lutz

JBNewsGroup

Hi Suzanne,

I must be doing something wrong. I tried that and I cannot *not* select the
end of row marker on the last cell. I keep getting a copy of the table when
I paste. I am using WORD2000. What arrows at the top of what? The table I
created has some empty cells. Does that make a difference?

Thanks.

Jerry Bodoff

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you select all the columns (using the arrows at the top) and do *not*
select the end-of-row markers to the right of the last column, you will

have
selected all the text without selecting the table.

so
all may benefit.

"GMLutz" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use Word 2000.

I need to be able to select all of the text inside a table -- not the
table itself, but just the text inside it. Clicking on the square at
the upper left of the table selects the table, not just the text.

How do I select just the text?

Thanks for the help.

George Lutz

You might have a look at the part about selecting parts of a table in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasics.htm. But when you hover
over the top of a table, you see a short, fat, downward-pointing arrow above
each column. When you see this arrow, you can click to select the column.
You can click and drag to select more than one column. It is easier to avoid
selecting the EOR markers if you have nonprinting characters displayed so
that you can see them.

"JBNewsGroup" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne,

I must be doing something wrong. I tried that and I cannot *not* select

the
end of row marker on the last cell. I keep getting a copy of the table

when
I paste. I am using WORD2000. What arrows at the top of what? The table

created has some empty cells. Does that make a difference?

Thanks.

Jerry Bodoff

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you select all the columns (using the arrows at the top) and do *not*
select the end-of-row markers to the right of the last column, you will

have
selected all the text without selecting the table.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"GMLutz" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use Word 2000.

I need to be able to select all of the text inside a table -- not the
table itself, but just the text inside it. Clicking on the square at
the upper left of the table selects the table, not just the text.

How do I select just the text?

Thanks for the help.

George Lutz

Luc

Seems to me that whatever you select you will always have a new table when
you paste . Which by the way you did not mention in your first posting.
However if you follow Suzanne's lead and select the columns by hovering your
cursor just above your columns (a black downpointing arrow will appear)
drag, but be sure not to select the end of row marker (it seems to be
outside of the table). To that effect it is always a good idea to use the
page view and not normal view.
Then use Copy and Edit - paste special - unformatted text - you will have
only the text and not the table.
Of course Jerry's suggestion is also a valid one.
Luc

"JBNewsGroup" schreef in bericht

"GMLutz" wrote in message
oups.com...
I use Word 2000.

I need to be able to select all of the text inside a table -- not the
table itself, but just the text inside it. Clicking on the square at
the upper left of the table selects the table, not just the text.

How do I select just the text?

Thanks for the help.

George Lutz

JBNewsGroup

Hi Suzanne,

Aha, the key is "Paste Special" with unformatted text and not just plain
old fashioned everday paste. Luc's response gave me the hint.

Removing Tables Max Daniel Tables 6 February 26th 05 09:39 PM
When joining tables, table sections shift left or right. JEB01 Tables 1 January 17th 05 07:57 PM
Merging tables in Word 2003 JoanN Microsoft Word Help 3 December 21st 04 06:35 PM
insert a table bwtween a series of tables Series of tables Tables 2 November 9th 04 10:19 PM
Is there a way to "join" tables in Word 2003? Julian Turner Tables 3 October 28th 04 06:51 PM