Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nospam[_2_] Nospam[_2_] is offline

Default Compressing photos in a document

Hi,

I have a word document, a technical manual.

It has lots of photos in it and this has made the document size about
101 Mbytes

this is too big to email.

Is there a way (utility) I can reduce the quality/size of the images
automatically.

At the moment I am taking each photo out, pasting it into Photoshop then
resizing to 320 x 240 and saving with a jpg quality of 30%

can I automate this somehow as it's taking a long time.

--
Nospam
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could extract the images using the methods suggested at
http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm, use SnagIt
(www.techsmith.com) to batch shrink the images, then re-insert them. Whether
that would shrink your document to the 2-3mb practical maximum size for
e-mail is anyone's guess, but mine would be that you will get nowhere near
it.

Nospam wrote:
Hi,

I have a word document, a technical manual.

It has lots of photos in it and this has made the document size about
101 Mbytes

this is too big to email.

Is there a way (utility) I can reduce the quality/size of the images
automatically.

At the moment I am taking each photo out, pasting it into Photoshop
then resizing to 320 x 240 and saving with a jpg quality of 30%

can I automate this somehow as it's taking a long time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nospam[_2_] Nospam[_2_] is offline

In message , Graham Mayor
writes
You could extract the images using the methods suggested at
http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm, use SnagIt
(www.techsmith.com) to batch shrink the images, then re-insert them. Whether
that would shrink your document to the 2-3mb practical maximum size for
e-mail is anyone's guess, but mine would be that you will get nowhere near
it.

Thanks for that.

I have thought about doing it in a batch but then I have to remember
where each photo goes and there are hundreds of them. But I may have to
resort to this method.

I picked this project up from someone who didn't know about resizing and
stuff.

If I double click on a photo the box that appears has a compress option
button and you can select the current image or all images in the
document and also select the new resolution.

I have tried this but it doesn't seem to work!

Thanks for the advice.

--
Nospam
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Have you already compressed the photos in Word? There's a Compress Pictures
button on the Picture toolbar. When you use this on a single picture, Word
will ask whether you want to compress all the pictures in the document.

As Graham says, however, this will likely not help enough. You have two
(2) upload it to a file sharing site. I have used http://senduit.com/ with
success, but I'm sure there are others that would work as well.

http://word.mvps.org