Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MrsMac MrsMac is offline

Default Bullets - using styles instead of default

Word2007 -- Because I can't stand the default setup of bullets and numbering,
and I can't seem to change the default settings, I've done some reading about
using Styles to create numbered and bulleted lists. After several hours of
frustration, I've sort of figured out how to set up the style of 0"
bullet/number, hanging at .3". This works great for ONE bullet. How do I keep
the same formatting for successive bullets or numbers? It always goes to no
bullet or number, indented at the darn .25" setting. I see that .25 in the
description of the paragraph, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to
get rid of it.

Basically, I just want to be able to type a lengthy either bulleted or
numbered list, hitting Return to start a new bullet/number, over and over,
with the margins of 0" and then hanging at .3". I don't need multiple levels.
Is this possible using Styles?

Thanks so much.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Try this:

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+L. This will apply the List Number format to your
paragraph. It will be formatted almost exactly the way you want, right out
of the box (0.25" hanging indent instead of 0.3").

2. Successive paragraphs will retain the same style.

3. If you want to modify the style in any way *aside from* the indent, you
can right-click on the style in the Styles pane and choose Modify (you can
change the bullet by clicking Format | Numbering, selecting the Bullets tab,
and choosing one of the pictured bullets or defining a new one).

4. To adjust the indents, right-click in the paragraph and choose Adjust
List Indents; you can then update the style by right-clicking on the style
name and choosing Update to Match Selection.

http://word.mvps.org

"MrsMac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
MrsMac MrsMac is offline

Thanks so much, Suzanne! I will deal with the .25 indent and then adjust if
need be. Appreciate it!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Try this:

1. Press Ctrl+Shift+L. This will apply the List Number format to your
paragraph. It will be formatted almost exactly the way you want, right out
of the box (0.25" hanging indent instead of 0.3").

2. Successive paragraphs will retain the same style.

3. If you want to modify the style in any way *aside from* the indent, you
can right-click on the style in the Styles pane and choose Modify (you can
change the bullet by clicking Format | Numbering, selecting the Bullets tab,
and choosing one of the pictured bullets or defining a new one).

4. To adjust the indents, right-click in the paragraph and choose Adjust
List Indents; you can then update the style by right-clicking on the style