Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike B Mike B is offline

Default style numbering is not following "start at' instruction

I have a heading style set with numbering. its the only style in my document
that has numbering. the number format is set to A, B, C, etc and I have set
it to start at "A". However, when applied to any text the style is starting
at B? I have tried selecting all the text in the document and reseting to
normal style. Then apply my heading and still it starts at B? Where is my
missing first heading?
There are no section breaks in my doc.
Word 20002, XP.
MB.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Display the Modify Style dialog for your heading style. Click Format
Bullets and Numbering. Click Customize. Change the 'Start At' value to 1.

"Mike B" wrote in message
I have a heading style set with numbering. its the only style in my
document
that has numbering. the number format is set to A, B, C, etc and I have
set
it to start at "A". However, when applied to any text the style is
starting
at B? I have tried selecting all the text in the document and reseting to
normal style. Then apply my heading and still it starts at B? Where is my
missing first heading?
There are no section breaks in my doc.
Word 20002, XP.
MB.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Mike B" wrote:
I have a heading style set with numbering. its the only style in my
document
that has numbering. the number format is set to A, B, C, etc and I have
set
it to start at "A". However, when applied to any text the style is
starting
at B? I have tried selecting all the text in the document and reseting to
normal style. Then apply my heading and still it starts at B? Where is my
missing first heading?
There are no section breaks in my doc.
Word 20002, XP.
MB.

Hi Mike,

Two other things:
-- If your style is part of an outline, and is not the "top" style, it might
start at "B" if you have not used the "top level" style.
Word outlines assume a proper hierarchy. If a top level is missing, Word
just assumes it exists anyway.
-- If you have changed around a lot, maybe you have acquired restarts.
Resetting the paragraphs (Ctrl+Q, or reapply the style) should fix that.
In a long document, you might replace the heading styles with themselves
(leaving "Find what" and "Replace with" empty) to reset the paragraph
formatting and remove manual restarts.

Regards,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

-- If your style is part of an outline, and is not the "top" style, it
might start at "B" if you have not used the "top level" style.
Word outlines assume a proper hierarchy. If a top level is missing, Word
just assumes it exists anyway.

I didn't explain that too well. Say you have a "Heading 1" style numbered A,
B, C, ...
And a "Heading 2" style numbered 1, 2, 3, ..., belonging to the same
outline.

Then your document might look like this:
1. Heading 2
2. Heading 2
B Heading 1
1. Heading 2
2. Heading 2
C Heading 1

That's because there is a "missing" Heading 1 at the start, and Word just
assumes the first two "Heading 2" belong to main chapter "A".

Klaus