Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Timmah! Timmah! is offline

Default Want hyperlinks to display as links, but print as "normal" text

I am a technical writer for an aerospace company. Our documentation is used
mainly in-house and is viewed on-line so I need hyperlinks (links to other,
internal documentation) to appear on-screen in the "standard" blue underlined
format. However, on occasion, I do need to actually print a hard copy, and I
would like to find a way for the links to print as normal text in these
cases. I know that I can change the formatting via the STYLES options, but I
would like to avoid having to reformat the appearance of the links every time
I need to print. Is this do-able?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Timmah! wrote:
I am a technical writer for an aerospace company. Our documentation
is used mainly in-house and is viewed on-line so I need hyperlinks
(links to other, internal documentation) to appear on-screen in the
"standard" blue underlined format. However, on occasion, I do need to
actually print a hard copy, and I would like to find a way for the
links to print as normal text in these cases. I know that I can
change the formatting via the STYLES options, but I would like to
avoid having to reformat the appearance of the links every time I
need to print. Is this do-able?

Yes, it's possible. You need macros that intercept the File Print menu
item and the Print toolbar button (which are separate internal commands) to
change the format, print, and then undo the change. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...tSavePrint.htm.

Add these two macros to the template(s) used as the base for the
documentation (see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm if needed):

Sub FilePrint()
With ActiveDocument.Styles("Hyperlink")
.Font.Color = wdColorAutomatic
.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineNone
End With

Dialogs(wdDialogFilePrint).Show

ActiveDocument.Undo
ActiveDocument.Undo
End Sub

Sub FilePrintDefault()
With ActiveDocument.Styles("Hyperlink")
.Font.Color = wdColorAutomatic
.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineNone
End With

ActiveDocument.PrintOut Background:=False

ActiveDocument.Undo
ActiveDocument.Undo
End Sub

--