Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jim Jim is offline

Default Word 2007 - how to set default formatting of autonumbered list?

In Word 2007, I use a "Normal" style which has left tab stops at .25" and
..6". Left Indent and First Line Indent are 0".

When I type "1. some text" Word will automatically start a numbered list.
In my case, it lines up the number ("1.") at .25" and lines up "some text" at
..6" (So I assume it is using the paragraph tab stops for the "Normal" style).
All of this is fine.

The problem is that hanging lines line up at .5", not at .6". The ruler now
shows a First Line Indent at .25" and a Hanging Indent at .5" (not sure where
it derives this from).

The List Style looks like:
Font: Courier New, 10 pt, Indent: Left: 0.25", Hanging: 0.25", Outline
numbered + Level: 1 + Numbering Style: 1, 2, 3, €¦ + Start at: 1 + Alignment:
Left + Aligned at: 0.25" + Indent at: 0.5", Based on: No List

If I try to Modify Style (the style name is 'Numbered, Left: 0.25", Hanging:
0.25"'), it will affect the text I have selected, but it doesn't affect any
new lists that get created after that style gets modified.

So why does word give me a hanging indent at .5" and not at .6"? Is there a
way to set .6" as a default?

I know you can adjust it all after the list is created using Adjust List
Indents, but it seems ridiculus to have to adjust every list after it is
created.

Thanks,
Jim