Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lallous lallous is offline

Default Caption Numbering

Hello

Here's my dilemma:

1. I am creating a TC field instead of "Heading 1" so that the TOC shows
what I want.
Because I want the following in the TOC:

Chapter 1 - Introduction

And in the actual first page of Chapter 1, I want something like:
Chapter 1 (enter)
Introduction

Notice that there is a new line and no "-" is there.

The problem is that because there are no "Heading 1" the captions for
figures are numbered "0.1", "0.2", etc...

So how can I solve this problem and have the figures correctly numbered?

2)
Can I create an inivisble "Heading 1" text or something that will not be
visible nor counted in the toc?
Or can I create invisible text with given attributes?
In HTML one would wrap the desired text within span
style="display:none"dadsadas/span to hide the text.

Regards,
Elias

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Elias,

Try this approach, probably on a COPY of the document, just in case.

Go ahead and use Heading 1 for the Chapter Title, to get the numbering
behaving (and to make outline view/document map more useful, etc). Also
enter the TC field.

Build the TOC from a combination of TC fields and styles.

If you click on Options in the TOC dialog, you can do exact settings for
what styles the TOC pulls. Delete the number next to Heading 1, then the
Heading 1 text should not show up in the TOC. But you can still have the
TOC automatically pull the Heading 2, Heading 3 entries.

It works here in MacWord 2004, so WinWord can do it, but your dialog might
look different.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the numbering is applied to the Chapter X paragraph, then it's probably
easier to use Heading 1 for that and Chapter Title for the actual title;
Chapter Title is then included in the TOC (at Level 1), with numbering
applied to the TOC 1 style.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lallous lallous is offline

Hello

Thanks all for your help.

Some of the suggestions given were a little hard for me to follow since they
lack details (for a word beginner).
Nonetheless, I managed to solve the problem by using TC fields to appear
instead of Heading1 in the TOC, and the TOC is only for H2 till H4 (as
Daiya) suggested.

I still have couple of unanswered questions from the initial post:

1. can I insert invisible text? like a text with Heading1 style but it is
not visible (for printing), thus Heading1 is avail and thus numbering can
take place?
2. Where are the hotkeys for some functionalities listed? for instance the
alt+shift+o I couldn't find it in any of Word's menus.

--
Elias
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If the numbering is applied to the Chapter X paragraph, then it's probably
easier to use Heading 1 for that and Chapter Title for the actual title;
Chapter Title is then included in the TOC (at Level 1), with numbering
applied to the TOC 1 style.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you use Heading 1 for your chapter title, you can number it and format
the numbering as Hidden (click on the Font button in the Numbering dialog).
Remove any indents and set "Follow number with" to "Nothing." This number
will still be available for use in Heading 2 and beyond, as well as
captions, page numbers, etc. But if you are going to have a chapter number
anyway, this is really unnecessary.

Assuming what you want is this:

Chapter 1
Chapter Title

then you use Heading 1 (numbered) for "Chapter 1") and a Chapter Title style
for the title. You pick up subsequent numbering (captions, pages,
lower-level headings) from Heading 1, but you put Chapter Title (NOT Heading
1) in the TOC and modify the TOC 1 style to have numbering.

"lallous" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Elias,

1. can I insert invisible text? like a text with Heading1 style but it is
not visible (for printing), thus Heading1 is avail and thus numbering can
take place?

You could use an empty paragraph formatted as Heading 1, and I imagine that
should do it. I've never tested it, because this is not the best method,
which is why I didn't bother to answer the question. If that empty paragraph
got deleted, your numbering goes wacko.

It makes more sense to format real text as Heading 1, and do the TOC
differently (as Suzanne spelled out in her last post). It's easier to tweak
a TOC than to mess with nonstandard numbering approaches. Also, using
Heading 1 offers more functionality than just the numbering. See these
reasons he
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

Also, having empty paragraphs around can cause problems. For a chapter
title, probably safe enough, but it's a bad habit to develop.

If you had some other reason for asking about invisible text--you could
experiment with Hidden Text (Help topics "hide text" and "hidden text").

2. Where are the hotkeys for some functionalities listed? for instance the
alt+shift+o I couldn't find it in any of Word's menus.

Alt-shift-o *is* the hotkey. If you want to know the name of what it does,
do it, and then check the Undo menu to see if it gives a name. If you
explain what it does or show me where it was used, I might be able to tell
you, but I don't see it referenced in this thread. Someone else may know
off the top of their head.

Daiya

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Alt+Shift+O is ResearchLookup (opens the Research task pane). You can
ascertain this by opening Tools | Customize, clicking Keyboard..., entering
Alt+Shift+O, and then looking at "Currently assigned to."