Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Hayes

Default Seeing comments

I've sent a document composed in Word 97 to someone, and they say that their
computer does not show comments.

On mine, they show up as yellow highlights, and when you hover the cursor over
them the comment appears..

Is there anything I can suggest that they can do?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Karen

Hi Steve,

I wonder if you could suggest they go to Tools, Options, View and under
the word "Show" they ensure the box "screen tips" is checkmarked. I'm
not sure if Word 97 has this feature, but it's available in Word 2003.

Best of luck with this!
Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Depending on version, they may see your document differently. They won't see
the popups unless they have ScreenTips enabled on the View tab of Tools |
Options. And if they have Word 2002 or 2003, they may see your comments in
"balloons" in the margins and/or in the Reviewing Pane at the bottom of the
screen (if it is displayed).

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
I've sent a document composed in Word 97 to someone, and they say that

their
computer does not show comments.

On mine, they show up as yellow highlights, and when you hover the cursor

over
them the comment appears..

Is there anything I can suggest that they can do?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop

uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:06:58 +0200 from Steve Hayes
:
I've sent a document composed in Word 97 to someone, and they say that their
computer does not show comments.

Which release of Word are they using?

On mine, they show up as yellow highlights, and when you hover the cursor over
them the comment appears..

Is there anything I can suggest that they can do?

If they're running Word 2003, View:: Markup should do it.

Otherwise, have them type "show comments" (no quotes) into Help and
follow the instructions.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed

Hi Steve,

In addition to the other suggestions ...

If they are using Word 97 or 2000 they may need to tick
Tools/Options/View/ScreenTips as Karen suggested to see the yellow
highlights and also Tools/Options/View/Hidden text to see the comments
at all.

Cheers.

Ed

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message
I've sent a document composed in Word 97 to someone, and they say

that their
computer does not show comments.

On mine, they show up as yellow highlights, and when you hover the

cursor over
them the comment appears..

Is there anything I can suggest that they can do?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full

stop uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Hayes

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 10:04:50 -0500, Stan Brown
wrote:

Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:06:58 +0200 from Steve Hayes
:
I've sent a document composed in Word 97 to someone, and they say that their
computer does not show comments.

Which release of Word are they using?

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions... I've passed them on. By she says
she is using something called "Ability Word", which i hadn't heard of (and
neither had she till she started using that computer(

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7734/stevesig.htm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Wed, 08 Mar 2006 05:34:11 +0200 from Steve Hayes
:
wrote:

Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:06:58 +0200 from Steve Hayes
:
I've sent a document composed in Word 97 to someone, and they
say that their computer does not show comments.

Which release of Word are they using?

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions... I've passed them on. By
she says she is using something called "Ability Word", which i
hadn't heard of (and neither had she till she started using that
computer(

Oh. And silly us, we thought you were asking a question about
Microsoft Word. :-)

There's a free program called Abiword or Abi Word, that I've seen
recommendef. Maybe that's what she's got?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daiya Mitchell

wrote:

Tue, 07 Mar 2006 11:06:58 +0200 from Steve Hayes
:
I've sent a document composed in Word 97 to someone, and they say that their
computer does not show comments.

Which release of Word are they using?

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions... I've passed them on. By she says
she is using something called "Ability Word", which i hadn't heard of (and
neither had she till she started using that computer(

In that case, her program probably can't read the comments--Word uses some
sort of special code to save them in with the document, and a program has to
specifically provide for reading that code for comments to be exchanged.
Ditto for Track Changes and all Word's special reviewing features.

Although I thought both OpenOffice.org and AbiWord did promise to show
reviewing features from Word. She might also check into the MS Word Viewer,
which ought to show comments, I imagine. So first, she needs to find out if
her program is supposed to show comments, and if it does, then she needs to
ask people who know about that program how to see them.

If this is what's she's using, doesn't look so promising on quick glance.
http://ability.com/

Alternatively, get it showing on your machine, and use a PDF print driver to
create a PDF to send her instead.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daiya Mitchell

On 3/8/06 9:07 PM, "Steve Hayes" wrote:

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:21:09 -0800, Daiya Mitchell
wrote:

Alternatively, get it showing on your machine, and use a PDF print driver to
create a PDF to send her instead.

I think that's what I'll have to do, thoguh I'm not sure that the comments
themselves (as opposed to the highlighting) will show up in a PDF documen.

You are using Word 97 and can't have balloons showing comments, right?

Is there any way to extract comments from Word and print them as a separate
document?

Somewhere in the Print dialog should be something about Print What: Markup,
which I think prints just the markup, and maybe an option for Print What:
Document plus Markup. Play with those. I don't think they are a new
feature.

In my print dialog, it's under the MS Word settings, and I could easily set
Document Showing Markup and then send the print job to the PDF printer
instead, I think. But I'm using Word 2004 on a Mac, so it may be different
for you.

Alternatively, comments seem to be coded similarly to footnotes. It might be
possible to put the cursor in the Comment pane in Word 97 and select all and
copy (since it's possible with footnotes).

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/