Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
elyons36

Default Why too many spaces between some words when text is justified?

I have a document in Word XP that is justified. In many cases, I have "loose
lines" or lines that have too many spaces between the words. How can I fix
this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anne Troy

Use optional hyphens. Ctrl+- will insert one. If you don't want to do that,
then don't justify... Justification is particularly "bad looking" in, for
instance, newsletter layouts with skinny columns.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"elyons36" wrote in message
I have a document in Word XP that is justified. In many cases, I have
"loose
lines" or lines that have too many spaces between the words. How can I fix
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
elyons36

I'm justifying because the document is a manuscript. I don't want to force
the spacing between the words because as changes are made, new issues will
then occur. Is there any way to get the spacing between words to be
consistent throughout the manuscript?

"elyons36" wrote in message
I have a document in Word XP that is justified. In many cases, I have
"loose
lines" or lines that have too many spaces between the words. How can I fix
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The whole idea of justification is that the words in a line are spread out
to fill the line, which means that space is increased. (If you enable the
WordPerfect justification Compatibility Option, it may also be decreased to
some extent.) You can reduce the inconsistency by judicious hyphenation, but
you can't remove it entirely because there are different numbers of nonspace
characters in different lines.