Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nancy Nancy is offline

Default Mathtype lowered by 12 pts

I am trying to edit an HTML doc. using Word.
When I insert a mathtype expression using ctrl-s my editing comment says
lowered by 12pt.
Then when refreshing the HTML doc. the expression is indeed lowered.
I have to go in manually and change the code, top:12pt to top:0pt, to get it
back up.
What is causing this to happen? Mathtype claims it is not their program, but
something in the Word formatting. I have not been able to find it.

Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Nancy,

I hope I can be of some help, but there are some pieces missing
from your puzzle. For example, what version of Word are you
using? What version of MathType? How are you saving the document?
(Word has 3 methods of saving a document as a web page -- "Single
File Web Page", "Web Page", and "Web Page, Filtered".) The
answers to these questions have a bearing not only on the answer
to your problem, but also whether the problem might be prevented
under a different set of circumstances.

I'm also not clear what you mean by inserting a MathType
expression by "using ctrl-s", since the Ctrl+S shortcut means to
save. Is this a customized shortcut that you created yourself?
Are you using this shortcut in MathType or in Word? How are you
inserting the equation into your document (i.e., copy & paste,
closing the MathType window, or inserting a MathType expression
that you've saved on your hard drive)? You refer to an "editing
comment". In what form does this comment appear? Is it in a
standard error dialog (i.e., a separate window that says "Error"
at the top?) Is it in the Status Bar (i.e., the bottom of the
window)? Or is it somewhere else?

Going by the information you've given in your post, I can't
reproduce the problem. I'm using Word 2003 and MathType 6. I have
2 suggestions though. First suggestion is to use the MathType
feature called "MathPage". You would do this instead of using
Word's "Save as Web Page" feature. Refer to your MathType
documentation for more information on MathPage. Second suggestion
applies regardless of whether you take my first suggestion or
not. When you're editing a web page that was created in Word,
whether it's a "Word web page" or a MathPage, it's a better idea
to edit the original document (i.e., the doc file) instead of
editing the web page. When you're through editing it, then save
it as a new web page.

Please write back with more information and we can go from there.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nancy Nancy is offline

Hi Bob,

I am using Microsoft Office Word 2003 (11.8134.8132)SP2 and MathType Version
4.0b.
I was using ctrl+S in MathType which updates the Word Document.
I am editing a Word Not Filtered HTML document.
I first wrote it in Word. This document has text, graphics and MathType
expressions.
It was converted to a Word Not Filtered HTML and now I am replacing some
broken graphics with MathType equations. Every MathType equation shows up in
the HTML document lowered by some value of pts. Most are lowered by 12 pts.
I am clicking on the space where I want the equation to appear and create it
using MathType, While still in MathType, I then hit ctrl-S. (Clicking on
FileUpdate does the same thing.)

The editing comment appears in a balloon. It says "Formatted: FontDefault)
Times New Roman, Subscript, Lowered by 12 pt.". It is not an error message,
it is jut the editing comment. When I accept all changes, it disappears.

I don't have a lot of control on how to edit. Someone else converted all my
original documents. There are a lot of problems that occurred during the
conversion. We converted three different ways and Word Not Filtered has the
best result.
I am now cleaning up what happened during the conversion, so I do not want
to convert again. That is what caused the problems in the first place.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Nancy

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Nancy,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Your detailed explanation
helps.

You said the conversion process from Word to HTML "is what caused
the problems in the first place." This, unfortunately, is not
unusual. That's why with MathType version 5, we introduced a
feature called MathPage, which is what I recommended in my
initial reply. Since you are using version 4, you don't have this
feature available.

The best scenario is to upgrade to MathType 6, and re-convert
everything using the MathPage feature. Seeing as how the
conversion has already taken place, and it's understandable that
you don't want to do it again, the steps you're taking are really
your only alternative.

I will say though, that the Ctrl+S step isn't necessary. If you
open MathType from Word by clicking the blue Sigma symbol on your
toolbar, there is a link between Word and MathType. When you're
finished with the equation, simply close the MathType window and
the equation (or expression) will appear where the insertion
point (i.e., cursor) was when you opened MathType. There's
nothing wrong with pressing Ctrl+S, but it isn't necessary. If
you leave the MathType window open though, and transfer the
equations with copy and paste, this is likely to lead to
problems.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nancy Nancy is offline

So you don't know what is causing it to happen?

I understand everything you said, but cannot change MathType at this time.
What I need now ifsto stop it from positioning my Mathtype equations lowered.

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Nancy Nancy is offline

I gave my superiors your suggestion of MathType 6 for future projects,
Thanks for the effort to help. I really appreciate it! I forgot to say that
on last post. :-)

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

Nancy,

Sorry; I should have explicitly stated that. No, I don't know
what's causing the problem, but if you'll send me one of the
offending documents, I'll take a look at it.

One more question -- with every equation you insert or edit, are
you closing MathType each time?

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com

"Nancy" wrote:

So you don't know what is causing it to happen?

I understand everything you said, but cannot change
MathType at this time. What I need now ifsto stop it from
positioning my Mathtype equations lowered.

size in Mathtype Mike[_3_] Microsoft Word Help 1 April 12th 07 03:04 AM
A bug of Mathtype [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 January 9th 06 04:06 PM
A bug of Mathtype [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 0 January 9th 06 08:26 AM
mathtype sony Microsoft Word Help 1 September 23rd 05 03:16 PM
Mathtype Toolbar AndyDevo Microsoft Word Help 2 February 22nd 05 03:00 PM