Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charlie charlie is offline

Default Macro needed (or available?) for standard figure placement algorit

I often insert figures from other sources into Word 2007 documents, mostly
academic manuscripts. I cannot have blank space in documents. I want each
figure to be placed on the first available page (i.e., one with enough space)
on or after its first mention in the text. I have never been able to do this
automatically, but it's such a common algorithm that it seems there must be a
simple way to do it. It wastes a lot of time to do it manually, which is
what people are doing all through my institution and probably across the
country all the time.

To clarify the objective, suppose I want to introduce Figure 1 in the middle
of page 6 of my document. If Figure 1 will fit on that page, that's where I
would like it. If there is not enough room on the page after I refer to it,
then I want the text to continue and the figure to be bumped to the top of
page 7, with more text continuing after that. If I introduce two figures on
page 6, say, and the second one won't even fit on page 7, then I want it to
bump to page 8.

A further advantage of implementing this algorithm automatically is that it
can keep up with manuscript revisions and even changes from double space to
single space.

I want the figures to have automatically numbered captions associated with
them and for the captions to move with the figures. (I do this regularly,
but manually.) They are all displayed figures, not in-line figures.

--
Charlie

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Word 2002 image placement technique needed tbone Page Layout 2 December 9th 06 06:13 AM
Figure captions sequencing, help needed!!! mscertified Microsoft Word Help 1 January 4th 06 05:26 PM
Macro Placement Me Microsoft Word Help 4 December 20th 05 08:49 PM
Table/Macro needed PT New Users 2 April 30th 05 12:21 AM
How to set placement of figure to paste? hstijnen Microsoft Word Help 1 February 8th 05 11:10 PM