Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] larrysulky@gmail.com is offline

Default rules above paragraphs

I've got a block of paragraphs, all of the same style. If I define the
style to include a rule above, only the topmost paragraph in the block
gets the rule. Likewise, a definition for a rule below gets applied
only to the bottommost paragraph gets it. If I insert some other
paragraph, with a different style, between any two of the paragraphs
in the block, then it's as if I have two blocks (which I do) and the
topmost paragraph of each block gets the rule.

The behaviour is as if the separate paragraphs were only separated by
a soft return (line-feed), not a hard return. But I'm showing the
hidden paragraph markers and clearly the separate lines in the blocks
are separate paragraphs.

Is this behaviour normal? If not, does anyone know what to do about
it? I need each paragraph so-styled to have a rule above, not just the
first in any contiguous set.

TIA
--larry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] larrysulky@gmail.com is offline

An update: I also note that the styles don't have to be the same. They
can be different styles that have the same or different borders. The
behaviour seems to be: if adjacent paragraphs both call for upper and/
or lower borders, no matter how (via style or local formatting) or how
they look (different colour, different weight, etc.), only the top one
will get the upper border, and the bottom one will get the lower
border.

Can this be right???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To get rules between paragraphs of the same style (or with the same
formatting), you have to add a Horizontal Inside Border in addition to the
top or bottom border. This option is not available unless you have two or
more paragraphs selected when you visit the Borders dialog.

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] larrysulky@gmail.com is offline

Thanks, Suzanne! That worked perfectly. Amazingly (or not), it doesn't
matter which pair of paragraphs I have selected; I simply have to have
multiple paragraphs selected when I get to that dialogue, even if the
style I'm modifying has nothing to do with the selected paragraphs. I
don't think I ever would have guessed this one.
---larry

Creating Rules...? meganfelicity Microsoft Word Help 1 June 28th 07 09:49 AM
Office 2007 Rules Kevin Bilbee Mailmerge 2 May 17th 07 10:05 PM
Can I set rules in mailmerge documents? Emma1405 Mailmerge 1 October 23rd 05 12:31 AM
Random rules Kurt Ullman Page Layout 2 April 14th 05 10:42 PM
Rules for writing a report? Sully Microsoft Word Help 1 February 1st 05 02:05 AM