itz nin

Default After opening document no "arrows" work

The arrows (drop downs if you will) next to the buttons do not work after I
open a specific document.

What I mean by arrow is the arrow on the "accept change" button. "Reject
change" button. "Font Color" button, etc. etc.

After closing word and outlook and NOT saving the normal.dot template, and
REOPENING word, I am able to use word normally.

I have to have word prompt me to save the normal.dot template upon closing
outlook/word because with every attachment I open it inherits the settings
for some reason. Is there any way of getting around this?

I realize there is 2 seperate questions here, but they are related. Any help
would be appreciated.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?aXR6IG5pbg==?=,

I have to have word prompt me to save the normal.dot template upon closing
outlook/word because with every attachment I open it inherits the settings
for some reason.

Normal.dot should NOT be "inheriting" settings from attachments, unless these
attachments are executing macros that are doing this. If they are, you
shouldn't be opening them...

What I think is more likely is
- When you start Word, it picks up some settings (mostly toolbars
visible, and how they're placed) from the last document you closed in the
last session
- When you open a new document, it picks up the same settings from the
currently active document

What can help in a situation such as this is to first start up Word with an
empty document and type something into it (so that Word doesn't close it when
you open another document). Whenever you open an attachment, make sure you're
viewing this document. Whenever you close Word, make sure you close this
document last.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

And even adhering strictly to that procedure is not failsafe. I do exactly
as Cindy suggests, yet Word often opens in Print Layout view (instead of
Normal) and has a deplorable tendency to lose the ruler not only in
Document1 but in many other (saved) documents opened subsequently. In Word
2003, however, Word does seem to do a good job (much better than 2002) of
remembering the Zoom setting saved with a document.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi ?B?aXR6IG5pbg==?=,

[...]

itz nin

Yes word is "picking up" settings. It is kind of a hassle to open a word
document first, and keep it open all day just so word doesn't start "picking
up" settings.

Is that my only solution? It will be kind of hard to "break this news" to
the CEO. He just came off Word 2000 and everything was great. We had to swap
his machine due to his PC being leased, now with Outlook 2003 and Word 2003
it is becoming a nightmare with all the changes/issues.

I don't mean to bicker, I know you didn't design the software!!

Thanks again for your input.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?aXR6IG5pbg==?=,

[...]

itz nin

Just for clarification I am using Word 2003 I forgot to mention that.

Outlook 2003 as well.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?aXR6IG5pbg==?=,

Yes word is "picking up" settings. It is kind of a hassle to open a word
document first, and keep it open all day just so word doesn't start "picking
up" settings.

Is that my only solution? It will be kind of hard to "break this news" to
the CEO. He just came off Word 2000 and everything was great. We had to swap
his machine due to his PC being leased, now with Outlook 2003 and Word 2003
it is becoming a nightmare with all the changes/issues.

I don't mean to bicker, I know you didn't design the software!!

Not a problem :-)

How does everyone there feel about using a macro solution to control how things
open up / display?

You might also want to drop over to the word.setup.networking group and ask
there if there's anyway using system policies you could get a handle on this.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)